• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

99 Csvt Vs 2003 Tiburon Gt V6

waves360

CEG'er
My friend just got an 2003 Tiburon v6 gt basically stock just an injen cold air intake. After riding around in my car for about a year, he gets his little Tiburon and thinks it will blow the doors off my car. I have an 99 svt with a k&n air filter, jet chip, and flowmaster cat back exhaust. i don't want to race him because i don't street race, but just wanted to see if you guys could tell me the winner on paper. and maybe i could go trash talk confidently to him!

he said he would race me at miland drag strip in miland, MI on a $500 wager. he is really confident in his car. MAKES ME WONDER!

imho... you should not have a prob smacking him after 100' mark as long as he don't get to far a head off the line you should take him. this is just from my experience. also if he has only done the intake on the tib, he prob lossed power. again this is just from my experience, being a former tib owner.

From Edmunds
Though the Hyundai Tiburon is by no means a slug, it is still one of the slowest cars in its class, which is testament to just how fast the current crop of sport coupes is. The GT put up respectable acceleration numbers (0 to 60 mph in 7.8 seconds, quarter-mile in 16.0 seconds at 86.4 mph) at the track, and there's a satisfying midrange pull that hits once the tach needle swings by 3,000 rpm.

I think you can take him

ROFL 16.0? And he thinks he's $500 faster than an SVT? Good Lord... my non-SVT Cougar pulls a full second faster than that.

I think he's getting snowed by his "satisfying midrange pull"!

You do realize that when Hyundai started putting V6's in their Tiburons, they sold them rated at 200 horsepower. Then the industry called them on the carpet, because they were lying? So they had to issue a retraction, and tell the truth, that they were really only making 170. True story.

I hate those stupid, ill-designed, poorly-conceived abortions of a car.

I think he has the advantage..

I'm not really confident in your mods. The K&N filter is a good mod, but the jet chip is a generic chip that gives minimal gains compared to something like a NPG tune and flowmaster mufflers are one of those most restrictive mufflers on the market.

flowmaster mufflers are one of those most restrictive mufflers on the market.

So true!!!! Flowmasters make alot of noise. Stock svt mufflers flow 320cfms. Flowmasters flow 350 :shrug:.

How many miles do you have? how well maintained is it?
How many miles on his car? auto or stick? or both :shrug:

I'm not really confident in your mods. The K&N filter is a good mod, but the jet chip is a generic chip that gives minimal gains compared to something like a NPG tune and flowmaster mufflers are one of those most restrictive mufflers on the market.

I think you're overestimating that weak Hyundai 2.7 engine. When they first came out with the v6 it became a 3 way GS battle at the local autocross between my mx6, a Sentra V and my friends Tibby. His car had just about zero guts unless you were already at highway speeds.

And how is the K&N considered a good mod when its probably just sucking warm engine bay air?

And how is the K&N considered a good mod when its probably just sucking warm engine bay air?

I gave him the benefit of the doubt and assumed he has the K&N RU3530 with MAF adapter and not some BOMZ ebay kit.

The NPG cold air intake is probably the most recommended kit, but I still would recommend the K&N RU3530 and of course a pudmunkie heatshield. :)

his tibby has 20,000 miles an injen cold air intake and a 6 speed, i have k&n air filter, jet chip, flowmaster cat back with no resonator and ford racing wires. pretty much all i have. i also run 93 pump he runs 89 pump but just playing around at the track on bald street tires i can pull 15.5 all day fastest was my dad, he was running 15.2 and some change " he is alot better driver than me" but thats with 18 inch rims and bald tires i i got the stock e1's now with new tires . I also didnt have the flowmaster cat back when this was done. if i race him pulling in the low 15 to a even very high 14 should be possible. what do you think. he has yet let me drive his tibby thats why im skeptic to race him.

my car has 129xxx on the body and 30xxxx on a new ford crate motor also a rebuilt trans 8,xxxx miles new clutch, new half shafts etc.

i run nothing buy synthetic motor oil changed every 4,000 miles

his tibby has 20,000 miles an injen cold air intake and a 6 speed, i have k&n air filter, jet chip, flowmaster cat back with no resonator and ford racing wires. pretty much all i have. i also run 93 pump he runs 89 pump but just playing around at the track on bald street tires i can pull 15.5 all day fastest was my dad, he was running was 15.2 and some change " he is alot better driver than me" but thats with 18 inch rims and bald tires i i got the stock e1's now with new tires . I also didnt have the flowmaster cat back when this was done. if i race him pulling in the low 15 to a even very high 14 should be possible. what do you think. he has yet let me drive his tibby thats why im skeptic to race him.

Okay...if you can pull a 15.2, you'll take him.

You're pretty far off. I bet he barely gets under 16 when he's putting about 150hp down to the wheels with less experience than you on the strip.

I looked at some slips on dragtimes and the Tibs with 2-3 bolt ons were trapping around 90-91 which is right around what an SVT with minor bolt ons traps at. I think it would come down to the drivers and who can get it out of the hole best. My .02 :shrug:

I raced one in my Mystique (v6/atx with Intake, exhaust, opt y-pipe, sct chip, etc) I was running low 16's and he was a hair slower than I was... This was a GT v6 with a 6-speed, not sure what year.

If he's never been to the track he's got something coming to him for sure. If he's a good driver it *might* be interesting, but I still think you've got him...

Back