• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Front Oval Help

trhlz1222

Veteran CEG'er
I got the oval sitting in some acid and water. i read that it should take a couple weeks but everyone that i read on said they used a gallon. my hardware store sold it in 1quart bottles. should i put another bottle of acid in it or what? i need this to happen in two weeks at the most.

I don't use water with the acid. Pour the acid in the container and drop the trim ring in, close container and let it do it's job.
How long has it been soaking?
Normally takes anywhere from a week to three weeks. I found it works faster when it's hot, and it should be where you live. From my experience, it takes two weeks.

Sounds like it's going to take longer since you added the water.
You'll start to see the trim ring turn a greenish color and the chrome starting to lift. Once the lifting takes place it will take a few days to a week for it all to be off.

someone mentioned to use draino instead of the acid, not sure how well it works but you could give that a shot instead?

Yeah, I haven't tried draino either.

What's the trim ring looking like now? Do you see any chrome on the bottom of the container?

It's most likely going to take longer since it's diluted.

i was thinkin of takin it out and jsut going buying more acid but that would cost me even more would it hurt to poor another gallon in there or wont it help much since i already have water in it?

dude try the draino, if you don't I will. and no I wouldn't add the acid to it I would put it in a seperate container.

strips the chrome off the oval....as for the draino it would be more expensive for me to try it then do the acid again and if it didnt work i would be even more pissed.

Get me a picture of it before you do anything. I want to see what it's looking like.

i snapped some pics for ya but didnt put them up today because when i woke up i checked it and noticed its started to bubble very little bit...so i held off for the boring nothing happening pics.

Progress. :cool:
Be patient, it will probably take about a week to finish up.
Leave the container closed now for a few days and then check it.

well my oval has been sitting for over a month and still nothing. it started to bubble and chrome started coming off but its stopped for the most part. im going to try and sand it now but i was wondering how much baking soda is needed to neutralize the acid. ive already put 2.5 lbs of soda in it and still fizzing. also what will the pre98 antenna base look like when its done having the chrome stripped off it in acid?

Take the trim ring out of the acid and dump some baking soda on it (front and back side), let it sit for a few and then rinse it off good.

The antenna base came out with a slight greenish/gray tint to it. Should look like the trim ring where the chrome came off.

Definitely the water, that's why it's not working. Hopefully the rest of the chrome will sand off fairly easily for you.

well i got the oval sanded and actually a coat of paint on it right now. had to use some silver from napa cause paintscratch is so slow at shipping their products. the antenna base should be good to go tomorrow just gotta paint it. not the hardest mod to do but defiantly the longest ive done.

I just pulled my oval off the plastic grill. Then I peeled off the chrome foil and painted it. I used epoxy to put it back on the grill. It took just over an hour start to finish. The bast part is, no acid. I didn't realize people did that. I did the same thing with the rear chrome strip.

Back