+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cobras

Default Cobras

Do all Cobra's say Cobra across the rear bumper or do some just say Mustang?

A friend shot me this link,but this was like wtf, that's not a Cobra. The grille for some reason doesn't look quite right and the rear bumper says Mustang.

Clarification would be nice.
    Dave
    If you are wondering where the avatar came from look here. http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showth...03#post1021703

#905 of 2150, born 12/14/99 \ knauberized \ Pioneer H/U \ topshop eyelids \ painted oval - Jade
    '99 Cougar - Katniss
    '98 Windstar 3.8L - RIP - Ruby
    '06 Grand Caravan SXT - Stormi
    In Chicagoland, need an OBDII or ABS scan, look me up.

Blog Entries

The 8th digit of the VIN is a V so it is in fact a Cobra.
    Ian
    2012 Hyundai Accent hatchback
    1996 Zetec ATX - Retired but still running (barely)
    Aircougar Performance

cobras have Mustang across the back bumper as far as I have seen for that model year at least.

Here are a couple links to verify the rear bumper is in fact an SVT cobra bumper

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1999-2...d-mustang5.htm

http://www.businesscopiers.com/Cobra.htm
    I strongly abide by the motto, "Safety third."

I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes.

Thanks for the info so far guys. I always thought Cobras had the snake in the front, not the pony (not saying that second link in FIND's post in wrong).

Learn something new every day!

**EDIT** Just looked through the SVTOA '09 calendar lots of Cobra's with the pony up front.
    Dave
    If you are wondering where the avatar came from look here. http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showth...03#post1021703

#905 of 2150, born 12/14/99 \ knauberized \ Pioneer H/U \ topshop eyelids \ painted oval - Jade
    '99 Cougar - Katniss

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by D.Acker View Post
    Thanks for the info so far guys. I always thought Cobras had the snake in the front, not the pony (not saying that second link in FIND's post in wrong).

Learn something new every day!

**EDIT** Just looked through the SVTOA '09 calendar lots of Cobra's with the pony up front.
    Yeah I've seen the Pony up front on lots of the Cobras. I'm not quite sure where they drew the line for the Pony/Cobra grill or the Mustang/Cobra bumper, and I'm also too lazy to research that. I already did the work and confirmed your VIN was in fact a Cobra
    Ian
    2012 Hyundai Accent hatchback
    1996 Zetec ATX - Retired but still running (barely)
    Aircougar Performance

man how do they cram all that graham! Even though that year cobra sucks.
    -99 T-RED 3L SVT TURBO
    -99 T-GREEN RHD MPV ST220 MAZDA 6 TURE DUAL 3L SVT
    -00 BLK/TAN SVT
    NEW OEM CONTOUR PARTS DEALER*
    SVTWAREHOUSE.COM COMING SOON!!

the 99 cobras said Mustang on the rear bumper. 01, 03 and 04 said COBRA in nice big letters. im not 100% sure on the 94-98s but i believe they all said COBRA on the rear bumpers but in smaller letters. dont know wtf happened with the 99s

ALL cobras have the pony in the grill. its just a VERY common and easy mod to put the cobra up there. its pretty rare to find a cobra with the pony up there actually lol. almost guaranteed to be stock or damn near it. REALLY rare if the car has been modified at all.

also youll notice that the 99s have the emblem on the trunk that say "SVT cobra". iirc, in 01 they started to just say "SVT". except the 10th annis of course.

and keep in mind, mustangs are often bastardized and misbadged. hence the "fobra". all the time ill see a mustang gt with cobra emblems, bumper, hood and wheels and then the rest of the Cobra specific parts are still GT. or even worse, V6
    Quote Originally Posted by Rara View Post
    Steve is 100% correct.

00 svt contour 3L turbo: 07 GT500!: 02HDF150

like everybody said that is a real Cobra. I mean it's easy to rebody a V6 or GT to look like a cobra, but that year has theorange turn signial just like it's supoused to also!! But I to always though the cobras said cobra on the rear bumper also. I'm more into the temmanitor cobras AKA the 03-04 4.6 DOHC supercharged 1

Thanks for all the good info!
    Dave

'99 Cougar - Katniss

The posts above list the details of the different years for thorough verification. The only way I have consistently been able to quickly identify Cobra's from posers with sticker guns are by the round fog lamps. Excluding the latest model of mustang, all other non-cobra's have rectangular fog lamps.

-Andy
    Last edited by Andy W.; 09-16-2009 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Fixed: Smartass
    Andy W.
    The problem with America is stupidity.
    I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity,
    but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Uh, hmm, well, uh, I don't know where he's not. It wouldn’t be inaccurate to assume that I couldn’t exactly not say that it is or isn’t almost partially incorrect. Oh, on the contrary. I'm possibly more or less not definitely rejecting the idea that in no way with any amount of uncertainty that I undeniably do or do not know where he shouldn’t probably be, if that indeed wasn’t where he isn’t. Even if he wasn’t at where I knew he was, that’d mean I’d really have to know where he wasn't.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast