• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Sea Foam?

Todd

New CEG'er
Has anyone here used Sea Foam in your cars? I was told its the best stuff to use.. in your fuel tank and engine. I was just wondering if anyone has used it and if so have you noticed any improvements?

Yes, many people have used it, esp. for cleaning out the UIM/LIM. Mony others prefer Berryman's B-12. I have used the Berryman's with success, never triede Seafoam.

honestly the best stuff to use is GM top engine cleaner (even on fords) followed by a gallon of water (used to steam clean the enigne). just like any of them you must regulate the flow so as to not hydro-lock the engine. this is not recommended on high mileage engines that have never been cleaned before. i have seen engines torn apart after this and they looked almost brand new. it works very well and is well worth the time. i think its even cheaper than seafoam or berrymans as a can of the top engine cleaner from GM costs about 6$

as for the injector cleaners that you put in the tank i dont recommend them as they tend to break up anything thats in the lines and send it to the injectors only cloggin them more. what you need is an injector cleaner that gets put in through the schrader valve and let the engine run off that not the fuel pump.

if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Great stuff, just did it to the CSVT. Great acceleration and throttle response. Plus a good smoke show to boot :D

I particularly liked the Lucus products. Used the fuel system cleaner in my Contour every other oil change.

Todd, I recently tried Seafoam in my '99 Taurus w/Vulcan motor and 60,000 miles and I liked the result. I put a can in the gas tank and used the PCV vacuum to suck another can into the motor directly. I feel the car idles more smoothly and seems to have better throttle response, I know these are subjective observations and not scientific measurements, but at least I know it didn't hurt anything. Anecdotal evidence suggests that Seafoam may be one of the few products of its kind that actually DOES what it claims...

I'm noticing a difference also

I'm noticing a difference also

Well i've used sea foam in my gas tank and in my engine, I can honestly say I've noticed a improvement! Going to give it some more time before I really brag on it though. Now, is their a difference between pouring the stuff directly in the engine and putting it through the pvc?

This is a stupid question, but, what is sea foam? And where can i find some for my car?
It is a type of fuel injector cleaner. Some of us have used it by putting in the fuel tank or just pouring it into the engine and running it for 10 minutes or so before an oil/filter change or using it for cleaning the valves by the UIM vacuum intake method.

Autozone, Advance, NAPA or almost any autoparts store should sell them.

Note: Sometimes, it doesn't work. Most of the time, it does.

Back