• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

98 csvt and 99 csvt 5HP diff... WHY?

SVT

CEG'er
I've read a few things.... on wiki it says the primary and secondary intake ports are honed... on ford performance group website it says just primary intake ports... what is it??

Can i just sawp out my 98 upper intake manifold for a 99 and gain 5 hp??

Thanks,

Zack

This has been a very controversial topic over the years and I'm not sure that it has been fully resolved.

What I believe is that the change came from extrude honing both the primary and secondary intake ports in the heads. That is what was reported in the trade magazines at the time.

Some believe that the difference was that the intake manifold was more aggressively extrude honed, having had a second pass. I think this concept has been pretty much discredited by those that have looked at both the 98 and 99 manifolds and could find no evidence of getting material removed.

There were still others that believed that the lower intake manifold was enlarged. Believing that, I bought a 2000 SVT lower intake and set about to swap it. When I had both side by side, I could find no difference. The both measured exactly the same.

I'm sure you will have others chime in.

The uim that was mentioned by big jim was a big debate. With dyno charts done by CTA Motorsports showed a gain in the 1999 manifold compared to the 1998 manifold. Also it was listed in articles. Bat.inc states the difference between the stag1 honing and stage 2 honing that was offered later in the 99 & 00 models.

Fuel delivery was changed to returnless in late 1999

Others have said the 2000 year had a higher compression due to the heads.

All i can think of right now.

Others have said the 2000 year had a higher compression due to the heads.

The compression ratio was raised to compensate for slightly smaller displacement. This was confirmed by the specs on the old Ford SVT site when it existed.

Thanks for both replys...

I have been reading on this because I wanted to do my thesis on this topic. It would be a great topic to do it on but I have turned away from it because of the lack of actually knowing what has been done. This could be a good thing though?!?! I don't know.... haha. I am going to do it on the difference between the stock y-pipe and cat, then with a new y-pipe and high flow cat... just as well :)...

http://www.fordperformancegroup.com/vehicles/?var2=0,4,0 Click on the year 1999 and they explain what has been done in regards of the extra 5hp gain... but still!?!?! just not enough...

and then there has been DYNO's done from someone on here i guess.... before and after upper and lower intake swaps from a 2000 onto his 98... and he gained like 3 HP... http://www.ctamotorsports.com/gtadynofiles/svtmanifoldcomparison.jpg

I really wouldn't go nuts trying to get that 5hp the later years had, i bet if you did a intake manifold rebuild and plugs and wires you'll be much happier.

I really wouldn't go nuts trying to get that 5hp the later years had, i bet if you did a intake manifold rebuild and plugs and wires you'll be much happier.

Haha it's not actually the HP im looking to gain from this :). It was going to be my topic of study for my thesis paper for my senior project. Not any longer though, but now that im on this topic I am really interested about it! haha

And by a manifold rebuild, you mean just taking it off, cleaning, and putting new gaskets on right. lol... you're not really rebuilding the manifold.. I have newer plugs and ford racing wires :) yaaahooo

LOL! Somebody needs to email them and tell them that their specs are completely fubar'd. Last I knew, CSVTs didn't come with 2.6L engines and they did not differentiate between the 98-99 and '00 specs.

wait... does the 98 have 10.0:1 compression ratio or is the 8.5 correct... i was confused about that....

Those ford racing wires are junk. Mine gave out after not even 6 months and im not the first person to say this. Ive read through the years of other people having poroblems with them too. I went with the taylors 8.5 race wires. Ofcourse now i have a COP setup hehe

The compression ratio was raised to compensate for slightly smaller displacement. This was confirmed by the specs on the old Ford SVT site when it existed.
My memory is about 9 years foggy on this, and I was still working for Ford at the time, but I seem to recall that the 99 and earlier 2.5L Duratecs were just a hair over 2.5L, like near 2.54L actual displacement.

In 2000 the displacement was reduced to 2.49L to avoid a displacement tax levied in the Japanese market on any engine 2.5L or larger. The compression ratio was bumped up a tenth of a point to sharpen the 2.49L engine.

Gary M.

My memory is about 9 years foggy on this, and I was still working for Ford at the time, but I seem to recall that the 99 and earlier 2.5L Duratecs were just a hair over 2.5L, like near 2.54L actual displacement.

In 2000 the displacement was reduced to 2.49L to avoid a displacement tax levied in the Japanese market on any engine 2.5L or larger. The compression ratio was bumped up a tenth of a point to sharpen the 2.49L engine.

Gary M.

That's close.

It was the European market, not Japanese.

The compression bump on the slightly smaller engine was to 10.25:1 from 10.00:1

I do know that the 2000 head's intake ports are extrude honed where as the 98 svt intake ports are not.

but honestly dyno pulls can very a few horsepower and be considered the same horsepower...

I don't know if there are any differences I did read that the latter SVT's react better to air flow mods but I don't recall where

I'm like 99% sure that all svt's heads are EH'ed

I think your are both right, sort of.

From the literature of the time, the 5 HP increase in 99 came from extrude homing BOTH the primary and secondary intake ports. 98 only did one. I don't remember which one, but I think it was the secondaries.

Im glad im not the only one having the problem trying to figure out the difference... There isn't much on this... I might call that SVT number and ask them. See if they can give me a ligit answer...

Im glad im not the only one having the problem trying to figure out the difference... There isn't much on this... I might call that SVT number and ask them. See if they can give me a ligit answer...

lol good luck....and i mean that honestly. Those guys who answer phones don't know much about the cars.:crazy:

Ask them ---i just purchased a 1998 svt contour. Whats the difference between the 1998 and 2000 models :)

I almost think Ford just rounded up to market the car better. Some early year cars dyno as much as later ones. Ppl have said the jump was due to better programing in the PCM plus the extra EH. Some cars are just going to be more strong than others due to some having a more balanced engine.

Back