• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

XCal Tuning Versus Dyno Tuning

rexxdoggy

Hard-core CEG'er
Okay. I talked to Sam about it before, but I can't remember what he said at all. And it's late, and I don't wanna bug him haha :laugh: So I decided to ask all of you and your opinions.

Well, Sam insisted that as soon as I can, tune the car. Totally agree under the circumstance that it's running stock ECU basically. So, my question is, is dyno tuning an option at all?

Here is what a guy told me on another forum I'm in that is local about dyno tuning.

"i had to pay $400 for 3 pulls (a base, adjustments w/ another pull, then a final pull and any minor tweaks~ all is done by a stationary computer w/ jus 2 sets of wires connected to your engine)...thats how my pulls went..You may or may not notice a difference, but 90% of ppl that get dyno tunes do notice improvements everywhere from gas mileage, to increased tq, smoother idle..etc.. I on the other hand noticed a huge improvement and picked up 17hp and 24ft/lbs/tq jus on motor"

So how does it work with tuning the ECU?

I think you can get pretty accurate with e-mail tunes. It may take a bit longer but when you car will be tuned properly either way. If you pick up an XCal and tune it with data logging you can pretty much get it to be perfect. When you data log those are like your dyno runs, so after going through a few tunes with datalogging eventually you will get it right on.

The nice thing about dyno tuning is that they can tweak you tune right there on the spot. They also can go by how much power your car is making, power bad stuff etc. when an e-mail tune is looking at a/f ratio's and stuff.

I don't know much about this stuff but I think thats the gyst of it.. I'm sure someone else will chime in with more knowlage then I do.

you can use the xcal when you get a dyno tune. the xcal is a tuning device, not a tuner.

on the dyno you are in a controlled environment and a number of pulls are made to get a baseline and then change the tune to get what you are after.

using the xcal with a mail order tune you will flash the car with the tune and be done with it, depending. its best to then datalog and go back to the tuner to get the tune tweaked until its where you want it.

most say that a dyno tune is best. however a few interations with datalogging and tuning with someone that knows the car will work just as well.

Okay. So basically, either way I'm still needing the Xcal, correct? Or can the ECU just be tweaked on without it?

depends on the tuner. some tuners have the capability to go into the PCM itself and edit the program creating the tune. some still use chips or you can use the xcal. the bonus of the xcal is it lets you adjust a few parameters yourself when you tune the pcm like fan turn on points, rev limiters, idle speeds, tire size, global spark, and a few others. then the xcal can read codes and be used to datalog so it is useful beyond the initial tuning. or its can hold 3 tunes that you can switch between. but you have to stop and take the few minutes to reflash the pcm.

Back