• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Buttonwillow in June

Heywood

Hard-core CEG'er
Well I finally did it. I just signed up for the HPDE at Buttonwillow on June 21 and 22. If anyone else is thinking about it, come on and sign up.

svtracer, are you going to be at that one?

I may go up for one day. I am going to be building a new car for the track, I have decided to retire the CSVT from track days. I think I will only be an observer for about a year.

We were there this past weekend with my buddies WRX and it made me really miss being on track so I may try to build something faster, but I have a very specific idea for what I want and it will take time to get it right.

Definately do not stay at the Motel 6 up there. That was the most disgusting hotel I have ever stayed in and the customer service blew - they didn't clean our room, but they did take our dirty towels and neglected to replace them with new clean towels.

I am very excited to run with you when I get back out there - I hope you really like it. You will have a blast.

Good tips, thanks. I have been wanting to go since I got the car. With any luck I will see you there. It would be good to be able to talk to a veteran, but I'm sure there'll be someone to show me the ropes.

what!? there's a california CEG out here??? i thought all of you guys lived in the east coast.... I would like to go meet up with some of you guys... wheres this buttonwillow??? may i come?

what!? there's a california CEG out here??? i thought all of you guys lived in the east coast.... I would like to go meet up with some of you guys... wheres this buttonwillow??? may i come?

yea but we don't meet up like the guys do in the east. if you read the other threads we have been trying to get a meet together but no luck. would be nice though to see some fellow cegers.

Where are you from?

wheres this buttonwillow??? may i come?

Buttonwillow is a race track near Buttonwillow, California which is about 2 hours north of LA on the 5.

If you want to sign up for an event there - I work with a group called NASA Pro Racing (nasaproracing.com). They are a very professional group who will help you safely get on track with your car.

In a way your right, the Contours out here are more like nomads roaming the roads and highways of California. If two or more are seen in one place, it may be for mating purpose only.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

A meet and greet, I once dreamed of such non-sense:shrug: :cool:

svtracer, are you going this weekend? Any of your friends going up?
I am getting everything sorted out with my car this week. I have to have roll restrictors and half shafts replaced. If you see my other thread I think I am also going to be getting a new oil pan. I bought a helmet last week and I think that's all I need to do.
Will book a hotel today sometime (not the motel 6).
Do people hang out after the track? Any other tips or tricks for me?

EDIT: And I was reading that you need to have the car inspected before turning up to the track, but I haven't received anything yet saying where I can get it done. Do I have to do it for the HPDE?

Last edited:
I am sorry to say, that no one from my group is heading up this weekend. The people are very friendly though and you will make friends quick.

Regarding tech inspection - you will do this at the track, you can download a form on the NASA site or they will have them there (typically). Make sure you get to the track early (at least an hour before you first drivers meeting) to have your car tech'd, set up a pit and get comfortable with what's around you.

Advice - take it easy at first, listen to your instructor and have fun. Remember you are not there to race (yet), so don't worry about the guy next to you if he is faster or slower, just learn the track and find the limits of your car. If you do experience an "off" be prepared to tell John (he runs your group and is a very cool guy) exactly what happened in your download. If you don't know why you went off he will assume that you are not paying attention on track which is a detriment to everyone else on track with you. Also, try not to go off at Buttonwillow (or Willow Springs) I am still getting dust/dirt/debris out of my car from my one overly aggresive corner entry experience. It will be hot so if you have an EasyUp to create your own pit, life will be much better for you.

Last and most important, take spare fluids - especially oil - and check your oil after every session (go to your download first).

I am very envious of you this weekend. If any CEGers can get out there to support him you should. The track is a great place to meet fellow car people who really know their stuff.

yea but we don't meet up like the guys do in the east. if you read the other threads we have been trying to get a meet together but no luck. would be nice though to see some fellow cegers.

Where are you from?

We're having a combined meet on the 21st aren't we? :shrug:

I hope you guys can show up.

Just got back to the hotel after day 1. Super fun. Started off a bit slow and improved steadily. Had a big off, sideways through the dirt, filled the inside with dirt at the end of the third session. No damage luckily and recovered pretty well in the last session for the day. Looking forward to tomorrow. I forgot my damn camera but the track photographer has some really nice pics which I might get a couple of.

Feels great now. When I first got in the car after putting the mounts in I thought I was going to have to take them out again because the vibration was really bad, but it has smoothed right out now and they feel great. The new drive shafts feel good too, no vibration during acceleration at all. My old ones didn't look damaged like the shop siad though so I'm not sure whether mine where bad or what, will check that out some time this week.
I had my ac compressor seize on Sunday and broke the serpentine belt. I'm guessing all the dirt everywhere didn't help that situation. It was a nervous couple of hours trying to get to a town to get a replacement belt and having to try random ones because they didn't have the no a/c belts in stock anywhere. I really didn't want to leave my car up there and have to come back for it, and I had to get to LA to pick up my buddy from the airport. The guys at the track were awesome and special credit to Brad, who took me into town twice and stuck around until we had it all sorted out. Great people.
On the track, I was way faster on Sunday, using 4th instead of 3rd for most of the track. And, I could feel when my tires started to go and backed of a bit to prevent another off. I got my book signed off for group 2 for next time, so that was nice. I wsa hoping to run my last session of the day without an instructor, but my serpentine belt put pay to that.

Hello all. I finally got my account activated.

The people are very friendly though and you will make friends quick.

I think svtc1136 will agree with you here. We should have had the car back together and on the road in about 45 minutes. Unfortunately, we were rushing ourselves and had to do the job twice. A wasted trip back to town cost us about an hour. Oh well, we got it back to road-worthy and I enjoyed the company on my drive down to Santa Clarita.

Despite filling my instructor's lap with dirt, he signed me off to group three. Too bad I'll be out of $ for quite some time. I probably won't be back in the driver seat until 2009. I'll still be back at the track though. I crew for a scion in NASA SoCal, so come check us out.

Hello all. I finally got my account activated.

I think svtc1136 will agree with you here. We should have had the car back together and on the road in about 45 minutes. Unfortunately, we were rushing ourselves and had to do the job twice. A wasted trip back to town cost us about an hour. Oh well, we got it back to road-worthy and I enjoyed the company on my drive down to Santa Clarita.

Despite filling my instructor's lap with dirt, he signed me off to group three. Too bad I'll be out of $ for quite some time. I probably won't be back in the driver seat until 2009. I'll still be back at the track though. I crew for a scion in NASA SoCal, so come check us out.
Yep, I can definitely attest to that.
Brad, I got my turn signals worked out - it was a blown accessory fuse. Replacing it fixed all the other little problems too, so all good now. Still need to clean up all that dust inside though.

I picked up my car from Wild Pony Motorsports on Friday. The back half of my cage is complete. I still have all the tires/tools in the car. Eventually I'll get around to cleaning it all up. I did a quick wash of the outside and parked it on the side yard. The next time I'll drive it will probably be a September Autocross.

Back