• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Split fuel line elbow at fuel filter

projectSHO89

Hard-core CEG'er
Car was spewing fuel under pressure. An inspection showed that the plastic elbow/connector on the engine side of the fuel filter is split.

Haven't seen any mention of this previously and wondered if anyone else has run across it.

If not, I'll go poking through the Dorman "Help!" catalog first and, if that doesn't pan out, head for the Pick 'n Pull that's a hour away and scavenge the needed parts.

Never heard of that happening on these cars. Must be age. Can you cut out the split area and put in a piece of rubber fuel line with some hose clamps? Don't know how it will hold up though.

Well, keep in mind that this is the car my wife tried to execute back in June. She had to drive it two days last week and was really pissed. I think she put a new curse on it....

Car was spewing fuel under pressure. An inspection showed that the plastic elbow/connector on the engine side of the fuel filter is split.

Yes, you need the pick and pull. The part comes as a whole fuel line assembly.

This happened to a CEGer from Toronto a few years back. I think he had to send it in to the dealer.

Looks like a Dorman 800-051 should fix it. My local O'Reilly's carries it in stock for around $26. Advance shows it for $19. I'll pick one up tomorrow somewhere and replace it this weekend if time permits.

Looks like Ford used this type of connector for many years and on many models.

Fixed. Used the Dorman part identified above.

Hardest part was snaking the old like out and the new line in. Finally dropped the front gas strap bolt, which allowed the tank to drop about 3/4" in that corner, and got it replaced.

I guess I'll have to make sure the wife doesn't have to drive it again...

Back