• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Found leaks during brake job

pletby

New CEG'er
Hey guys! Found some wet spots under the car this weekend during my 10 hour battle with the brakes. (yeah I know.:rolleyes: I wasn't even taking it easy either!) I had 2 REALLY stuck rotors!:mad: I ended up cutting the stuck rotors with a tiger saw and putting a chisel to it when I got close to the hub. Very easy to split and work off then. I also had a devil of a time with the rear caliper mounting bolts. They were torx. The front were just regular bolts. I can see where having the car up on a hoist could really make a difference back there. I'm quite sure I hate torx headed bolts now. All put back together now as this is my daily driver. I'd rather have addressed all these leaky issues first, it'll have to wait until another weekend.

I know what some are, but need help identifying others. So here's the show and tell:

First of all, before we get to leaks, what the heck can cause this on a rotor? This rotor was UGLY. Pads were half worn on the outside, and 3/4 worn out on the inside:

07-18-09_2112.jpg

Passenger side front strut assembly:
IMG_2331.jpg

Inner CV boot on Passenger side:
IMG_2337.jpg

Steering linkage that I really need to clean the crud off of. Looks like the boot is torn:
IMG_2338.jpg

Driver's side strut assembly:
IMG_2340.jpg

This worries me:
IMG_2341.jpg

Inner CV boot looks good here, but is there a seal gone here?:
IMG_2343.jpg

So let me know what you think. It looks like I have alot more work here than I originally thought.

Oh, and by the way, the brakes are awesome now! It's amazing what you can get used to. Where's the funny squeaking noise? Where's the pulsing? It's so weirdly smooth now...:cool:

looks like you have some worn out tranny mounts, that thing is touching the sub frame!

Thanks for the replies fellas. I've been a while in acknowledging as I have had an accident at work, got hit in the hhead and have a concussion. It's been a few days now, so getting with it a bit.

Anyhoo, the tranny mounts are worn out eh? I wonder how hard those are to replace. I also didn't even notice the shock is leaking until I saw the pics. I'm thinking I need more light under the car when I'm working on it. Checked tranny fluid on the weekend before shutting down after a long drive. It's still at the full mark. Dad was saying I should pour some product into the fluid that would stop the leak. I don't like the sound of putting gunk into my tranny fluid. What do you guys think?

Don't dump any stop leak crap in there. The leak you see might be from cooling line. Check connectors first. If your mounts are gone good chance lines are under stress. Also check gaskets on the cover. Your best bet is to degrease the trany and then check for leak. Oh, if you haven't changed your trany fluid, get on that.

in regards to your question on what can cause this
07-18-09_2112.jpg

I would say frozen caliper slides. this will cause irregular pad wear like you described hope you lubed up the slides(pins) and made sure they were moving freely.

deffinately pressure wash the trans and some of the other leeaks if you are having trouble locating them.

also you can get replacement cv boots and tie rod boots but new outer tie rods on Rockauto.com are only like $9.03 so change the whole thing cause it is probably worn out.

good luck.

Back