• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

My first 3L swap....

ttuspaniard

New CEG'er
Hey guys I just bought an 04 3L from a sable for 400 bucks with 30K miles...

I have a 1999 Cougar with a blown head gasket on the 2.5...

This is my first time so from reading around I think a full swap is the easyest and cheapest route to go for me...????

So I Started the tear down process this week end and I have a few questions...

1- I noticeed the fuel rail delivery system on the 2.5 has an "in" and an "out" routes where the 3L only has a single "in" tube....what do I need to use or do ???

2- What do I do about eh EGR valve...can I use the one of the 2.5L or a mix and match??

3- is the full swap the easyest and cheapest way to go...

Thanks guys...I ll out some pics of the tear down progress tonite!

Hey guys I just bought an 04 3L from a sable for 400 bucks with 30K miles...

I have a 1999 Cougar with a blown head gasket on the 2.5...

This is my first time so from reading around I think a full swap is the easyest and cheapest route to go for me...????

So I Started the tear down process this week end and I have a few questions...

1- I noticeed the fuel rail delivery system on the 2.5 has an "in" and an "out" routes where the 3L only has a single "in" tube....what do I need to use or do ???

2- What do I do about eh EGR valve...can I use the one of the 2.5L or a mix and match??

3- is the full swap the easyest and cheapest way to go...

Thanks guys...I ll out some pics of the tear down progress tonite!

Search Search Search.

But to help your questions:
1. You have a return style fuel rail, the 3.0L is a returnless. Get this
http://www.nautilusperformance.com/catalog/i29.html

2. Delete the EGR

3. How good are you at doing this?

Well my friend just did a similar swap he had and SVT contour that they did the swap on....but Ive someone just told me that the 3L swap is a pain in the rear...

What is the easyest swap to do with what I have?? the cougar with the blown head and a new 3L motor..?

Are there any instructions i can use on here?

Full 3l swap is easy. There are a few mods you have to do to vac lines and cables but its no big deal compared to swapping the engine its self.

The biggest issue for some is that you HAVE to get it tuned. While a ported 3l swap with stock injects is just strongly recommended.

He will have to upgrade to 19# injectors at least because his coug only has 17# right now.

mmmmm Im on the tightest budget ever so.....perhaps I may need to change the game plan some...

tight budget and want stock look = ported 3L (3L longblock, 3L heads, 3L cams, port 3L heads to match coug LIM)

Wouldn't the 3l cams and new injectors require a tune anyways? If so the full 3l swap is about the same price.

Wouldn't the 3l cams and new injectors require a tune anyways? If so the full 3l swap is about the same price.

You wouldn't run 3L injectors you'd run your Contour injectors and keep the secondaries if you wanted to avoid a tune. You can only do both with a ported 3L. Don't tell new people that have no idea how to remove an engine or find a fuse that the full 3L swap is easy. They will never get the car running again. Neither the full 3L or the ported 3L are "easy".

You wouldn't run 3L injectors you'd run your Contour injectors and keep the secondaries if you wanted to avoid a tune. You can only do both with a ported 3L. Don't tell new people that have no idea how to remove an engine or find a fuse that the full 3L swap is easy. They will never get the car running again. Neither the full 3L or the ported 3L are "easy".

Exactly its not as "easy" esp. if you are on a tight budget-- I was going 3L when my car spun a rod last month--bought engine and all..but my mechanic couldnt figure it out so we decided to fix the SVT 2.5L. Engine is in pieces but getting it put back together by the end of tonight. Cost me only $700, im lucky only one rod was bad and mechanic didnt charge too much for labor either!!! :shocked:

I meant full 3l is the easist way to go. Not that swaping an engine is easy.

Back