• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

1961 Olds F85 Restoration

cobrawannabe

Addicted CEG'er
As some know, my friend, Ryan owns and drives a lightly modified 1963 Olds F-85 Cutlass. The car is equipped with a 215 C.I. V8 and a 3-speed on the tree. Here it is...

SDC10091.jpg

SDC10096.jpg

Well, we've decided that the partial restoration and modification of one classic Olds just wasn't enough. So, as a surprise to me; my friend, Kevin (S10 Crasher on CEG) revealed to me something that Ryan and him have been working on for 2 weeks, now.

A 1961 F85 base model complete with the very same 215 V8 and 3-speed column-shifted automatic.
The picture below is what the car was brand-new. Right now, the car is knee-deep in the closest you can get to a body-off-frame restoration with a unibody car:laugh:

sc003d.jpg

Custom Paint work...

Custom Paint work...

I just did some paint work for the engine bay of the '61 this week. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I touched it up a bit more after this pic was taken...

The valve cvers are the same aluminum color as the ring, and wil get red fins to match once I get around to it...

mail

I wasn't shooting for perfect, but the touch-up got it darned close.

Should there be pics in your second post...'cause I don't see any, which sucks cause I believe we're talking about a nailhead here, and a nicely detailed nailhead is a thing of beauty.

Should there be pics in your second post...'cause I don't see any, which sucks cause I believe we're talking about a nailhead here, and a nicely detailed nailhead is a thing of beauty.
Actually, the nailheads were only the Buick mills. The Olds/Rover 215-based family were all boltheads.

Edit: Work now?

Last edited:
Ah, the first regular production car offered with a turbo:cool:
The Starfire was a very quick car for it's time, too! Sure, the later 394 blew it's doors off, but what an engine the little 215 was, and still is! It lasted all the way up 'till 94 or so with the 4.4L Rovers...

Some great early 60's Olds advertising for ya...

This may be my favorite commercial ever :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3Km9qlhaR0

2005-10-26_JetfireV8Web-Large.jpg

Owner's manual Cover:laugh:
1962%20OLDSMOBILE%20F-85%20OWNERS%20MANUAL.jpeg

images62oldsf85sedan.jpg

First production turbo'd car, then 3 years later the first production FWD car, damn, where did all the idea's go:shrug::rolleyes::eek::nonono::cry::help::confused:

Actually, the nailheads were only the Buick mills. The Olds/Rover 215-based family were all boltheads.

Edit: Work now?

Doh! Silly me, I knew the nailhead was a buick engine...I don't know why I was thinking Olds. As for the edit, I still don't see pics, maybe it's just something about my computer though.

Doh! Silly me, I knew the nailhead was a buick engine...I don't know why I was thinking Olds. As for the edit, I still don't see pics, maybe it's just something about my computer though.
No, it's me. I fail at hotlink...

Aircleanercover.jpg

All taping was done free-hand, and the circles were perfected with freehand work after the pic was taken as well. I'm better than I thought:laugh:

Back