• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

2000 Ford Contour - Stalled while driving - Wont start

phameus

New CEG'er
00 Contour SE 2.0 VCT 140k miles.
- may 2009 timing belt idler pully replaced
- Car has been using excessive amount of gas for a few months now (prior to the timing belt issue)
- CEL is on - I cant recall the actual code but its for the catalytic converter.

My girlfriend was driving home from work yesterday and heard a single "pop" sound from the engine of her car. The car continued to drive perfectly for approx 5 more miles then the oil light on the dash came on and then the car suddenly died. She called me and I told her not to try and start it or do anything else.

When I arrived to come pick her up and have the car towed I lifted the hood and didn't see anything out of the norm so I had her try and start it. I immediately noticed that the cam gears that the timing belt is on were not turning while the engine cranked.

She only attempted to start the car once while I was there and she did not attemp to start after it died before I arrived. So it was only cranked one time.

I am kinda concerned about the noise that she heard but I am not sure where to start because the car continued to run fine for a while after she heard the noise.

Any clues?

Coulda just been a backfire pop from motor as the cams spun down to stop from broken/no belt. They say motor is non interference, meaning just put a new belt on and go. No bent valves possible.

Or noise could have been timing going off (again, backfire) from belt starting to sludge teeth and jumping, car could still run for a bit until it gave up the ghost.

I have talked to a few other people (outside of the bulletin board) about the cars issue and they all said that I should not have to be too concerned about whether or not the valves where damaged. I was also told by the same people that when this type of engines timing belt skips a notch or two thus throwing the timing off there is usually not much if any significant damage.

If that is the case what should I do now?

1. I dont know whether or not I should safely assume that the valves are not damaged and replace the timing belt, set the engine back in time and hope that works? (this way if all works will save me ALOT of $)

2. Should I take it to "the shop" and have them give me an estamate? If I do take the car in and have it looked at does anyone know approx what an estimate will cost me?

I simply am not sure how to pinpoint the problem and what caused this to happen with out some guidance in the right direction. I need to get this car back on the road as quickly and as cheaply as possible.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

I have talked to a few other people (outside of the bulletin board) about the cars issue and they all said that I should not have to be too concerned about whether or not the valves where damaged. I was also told by the same people that when this type of engines timing belt skips a notch or two thus throwing the timing off there is usually not much if any significant damage.

If that is the case what should I do now?

1. I dont know whether or not I should safely assume that the valves are not damaged and replace the timing belt, set the engine back in time and hope that works? (this way if all works will save me ALOT of $)

...Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Door Number 1.

agree with Tony, have a new timing belt and tensioner and idlers installed, motor will fire right back up.

I have owned two Zetec contours whose blew up their timing belts as well, replacing them allowed me to drive the car thousands upon thousands of miles afterwards. One of my zetecs I drove to nearly 180K before I sold it, and so I hear its still on the road today :cool:

Thank you for responding. I will go to Auto Zone today and get the timing belt replacement kit and try and get it done by tomorrow evening. I will post a note on here this evening asking any questions that may arise.

I will post the end result.

Thanks for your help.

Make sure you get the complete Gate timing belt kit (which includes a "key" to set the timing correct). Some have managed to get the timing correct without this "key" but most have had a bear to deal with.

00 Contour SE 2.0 VCT 140k miles.
- may 2009 timing belt idler pully replaced
- Car has been using excessive amount of gas for a few months now (prior to the timing belt issue)
- CEL is on - I cant recall the actual code but its for the catalytic converter.

I have a question about something I noticed right away when I started working on the car. I took the tire off and the covers under the fender and the first thing I did was put a socket on the crank case pulley and turned it simply to make sure nothing was seized. I noticed that the timing belt didnt move at all when the serp belt did. I dont understand how that is happening.

Is that normal for this type of situation?

I want to know before I continue if possible.

Timing belt could be worn out and not turning or spring/tensioner could be broken.

Back