• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Has anyone used..

greasemonkey1489

Hard-core CEG'er
.. a Mazda MPV 3.0L engine in their contour/cougar/mystique? It looks like the passenger side engine mount is exactly like the contours, so maybe it would save from having to grind down a motor mount?

is the 3.0 in the new mpv a duratec? thats a great idea if it is, never heard of it being done, but if it uses the z mount on thew pass side, chances are the timing cover and trigger wheel are alreay right too, just like in the escape.

how are the prices on MPV engines?

I know the really old MVPs were ford ranger bassed though, I always liked the awd ones.

There's at least one MPV owner on the Cougar boards, since his MPV has a Duratec 25 in it.

According to WikiPedia, the 02-05 MPVs had an available Duratec 30.

Yeah, I was rooting around under the hood of a MPV at my dad's shop. I saw that it was a 3.0 DOHC and I noticed the exact same motor mount as the contours. So it got me to thinking, unless the cam design is different than the taurus's, then hell, I'm finding a Duratec30 from an MPV to save me some time during my swap

I've recommended using the 3.0L from the MPV before since it had the same front mount as the contour, same front cover as Escape, and cam driven water pump. Also, I'm pretty sure that the tranny used on the MPV did not require the bushing in the rear of the crankshaft. Note that the 2000-2001 MPV had the 2.5L then switched to the 3.0L for 2002 model year.

Found the only problem. An 02 and up engine is easily over 1100 dollars. And the one I inquired about had 90k miles :nonono:

But an 04 Taurus motor with about 44k is $500 so I guess I'll be grinding down some things..

It is not what the motor could go into that is the issue. It is that it came out of this Vehicle or that vehicle. Since there are 50 million more taurus style cars then MPVs those engines are cheaper. They figure most people are looking for a direct swap from the same car.

Oh well - good try. Might be cheaper to find an MPV that someone is parting out.

Back