• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

ABS light flickering and car stalls with AC on

Irish Pride

CEG'er
They say bad things come in 3s. Heres the 3rd. I noticed the other day that my AC didnt seem to be blowing that cold. At first i thought it might just need a few cans added but tonight made me think it might be something different. Tonight i noticed my ABS light flickering sometimes when i would accelerate. A little bit later i came to a stop light and the car stalled on me. It cranked right back up but stalled again at the next light. Cranked right up again but then stalled a third time at the next light. At this point i thought the AC was draining the battery so i turned it off and it hasnt stalled since, but the ABS light still flickers and i noticed the headlight dimmed whenever i rolled the windows up or down. The car cranks up fine so i'm guessing its not the battery. Is this an early warning sign of my alternator going bad?

So i went and had Autozone check the battery and alternator. The battery checked ok and the alternator checked ok with the AC off. When the AC was running it checked low.

This is what they told me it was running at -
Diode Pattern - good
Regulater Volts - 13.80
Peak Amps - 59.7

Is it safe to say that the Alt. is on its way out and is whats causing the problems i'm having?

One more thing. Is the Alt. side mounted or saddle mounted? I would say side mounted but because he offered two options i just want to make sure. Thanks.

Back