• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Main Wiring Harness Installation...

mskizzle420

CEG'er
s6300318.jpg

Should I attempt it? It looks fairly simple, has anyone attempted this encounter before?

A local mechanic quoted me 400 bucks and that seems outrageous.. im really tempted.

dude it is a cake walk
just take your time pick one side of the engine or the other to start on and unplug then plug in the new as you go. Gonig to need to remove your coilpack and 2 nuts that hold the megafuse holder on the back valve cover. have to get under the car for one or 2 lugs iirc and 02 or something. Been a long time since i did mine but seriously no way in hell id pay 400 bucks. fly me round trip and ill do it for ya:cool:

dude it is a cake walk
just take your time pick one side of the engine or the other to start on and unplug then plug in the new as you go. Gonig to need to remove your coilpack and 2 nuts that hold the megafuse holder on the back valve cover. have to get under the car for one or 2 lugs iirc and 02 or something. Been a long time since i did mine but seriously no way in hell id pay 400 bucks. fly me round trip and ill do it for ya:cool:

That doesnt sound too bad.

where are you guys finding these!?

I called the Ford Dealership, got the part number. One guy was nice enough to do a search to see what dealerships across the US had it, apparently there was 3. One wouldnt budge off the 754 retail price, but luckily I got one to go down to 465. The pain of my pockets :(:shrug:

I called the Ford Dealership, got the part number. One guy was nice enough to do a search to see what dealerships across the US had it, apparently there was 3. One wouldnt budge off the 754 retail price, but luckily I got one to go down to 465. The pain of my pockets :(:shrug:

holy smokes! I need one myself, but I think i'm just gonna rebuild mine. oh and taking it off/on is fairly easy. don't sweat it.

So far this morning, calling around getting quotes

One mechanic told me- its required to lift the motor to route part of the harness correctly.

Ford quoted me 700+.

Should I really attempt this myself? I dont have an engine lift or anything.

I am on vacation this week and have a 98 svt with really bad harness and going to switch it out. How many hours would it likely take? Anyone close to me that wants to help???

jesus christ they are full of ????! I did mine in an hour or less iirc in my freaking gravel driveway! im out of work lol fly me out and back and ill do them for free!

UPDATE :::

I need aside from the main wiring harness the wiring harness "loom" as Ford calls it that goes to my injectors, coil, o2 sensor etc.

Theyre trying to charge me another 700 dollars. I AM DYING.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

This is 1500 bucks into a 825 dollar auction car.

jeez that is alot of money! I would bust out the soldering iron and heat shrink. and you don't need to pull the motor to get to it. thats outta control.

Another question guys:
So I got a harness from a 98.5 svt how will I know for sure if it will work for my 98 svt because I know that they changed some things in the 98.5? I don't want to go throught all that work and find out later and I didn't have the right one. Thanks

Back