• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Busted Side Skirt

TOURSVT98

CEG'er
Wow what a day. I went yesterday to get some new tires put on the SVT and then went off to work. When i got home from work i noticed my side skirt was cracked and it was hanging on by two of the slide tabs on the top. I called up the shop today b/c it was too late last night for them to be open. I went ahead and lifted off the skirt to avoid it falling off and getting destroyed by my rear tire. When i called the shop they told me to bring it in and they would look at it. After looking at the busted part they directed me to a local car dealer to get it put back on. Then i had to explain that it will not just go back on and it is actually damaged. So tonight i have to run to the car lot and have them look at it. I am hoping that they dont have some agreenent with this lot that they will fix it for as cheap as possible. The damage was the front lip/face of the skirt tore and ripped the whole for the tab. The part that pissed me off was how much the tire shop did not car and how they did not mention it to me yesterday when the tech had done it.

Sorry i needed to vent.

So what i am wondering is there anything i can do to ensure that my car gets fixed correctly? What could i do if the halfass it together?

well it sounds like they jacked it up when they put your car on the lift, I have seen it happen before, its really easy to do.

You need to persist in talking to the shop's manager, tell them it wasnt like that before you went there, get them to agree to pay to have it fixed, or cover most of the cost, and chances are you are going to have to get the skirt replaced, genereally fixing a side skirt is kind of a big ordeal, what with fiberglass work and spending the time to get it to line up and fit properly.

I happen to know of a guy that has a pair of side skirts, let me know if interested I will see if he wants to give one of them up.

Be aggressive, B-E AGGRESSIVE!

to a point, if you are a d-bag nobody will want to talk to you, before you call, or better yet go there to talk to the manager face on, have an adjenda, and remember KISS (keep it simple stupid), dont be all long and drawn out,

"I had some work done on my car here... afterwards upon inspection I noticed my side skirt was damaged, it wasn't like that before, you guys are the only guys who have worked on the car, I would like for the repair to be paid for be your shop"

and go from there. The more detail you add, believe it or not, the less believable you are, and be "upset" but not like unreasonable, let them speak to you, be attentive, listen to what they have to say, on some occasions repeat what they say just to show you are listening and willing to work with them, it makes no sense that they can damage your car and you have to go off and pay some stupid amount for something that wasn't your fault. Them damaging your car and not admitting responsibility is absolutely unacceptable, you wanted a service from them, you already paid them to fix something on your car, and they caused further damage which you have to pay to have fixed as well.

I am assuming they did actually damage your car.

So what i am wondering is there anything i can do to ensure that my car gets fixed correctly? What could i do if the halfass it together?

I have a freshly painted brand new never installed T-red side skirt for the passenger side for 210 shipped. A used drivers in T-red for 110.

I was praying they didnt wreck my skirts when I had tires done this morning but thankfully they let me in the bay to look and make sure they were hitting the rails. I really need to get around to having my car dropped off at the exhaust shop during the week to get the subframes welded in.

Back