• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

1998 Mercury Mystique Transmission problem

fatjoey666

New CEG'er
I have the 2.0 liter 4 cyl. Zetec engine, Automatic Transmission. Here is the problem the best I can describe. I was driving the car to Fort Myers Fl. from Tampa Fl. (approx. 125mi.). Inoticed that the O/D light started flashing on the dash. As I was on the Interstate and using cruise I didn't do anything as it was still cruising along. When I got off the Interstate and started slowing down and then speeding up again.. I noticed it was revving for a second or 2 and then when the RPM's built up it would go into the next gear and then all is fine.

Unfortunately this is my work car and I continued to use it w/o doing anything to fix the problem. I just adapted as the situation got worse. Pretty soon it would only rev in D. So I would put it in 2 or 3 to start and when the RPM's got up to around 3000 to 3500 I would shift to D and all was fine until I had to slow down or stop, then I would have to repeat that procedure. When I shut the car off and started back up the flashing O/D light would go off and not come back on until after quite a while.

Now I have no forward gears when I start off. Reverse, Park, and N all work great. The funny thing is, to get the car home, I could put it in D, 2, or 3... Rev up the RPM's and the car would roll until it achieved the neccessary speed where it would pick up the next gear and then I could drive it fine until I had to go below 25 MPH and then I would have to repeat the above procedure. The check engine light came on and I had Autozone pull the code and it said: Transmission Slippage--Check Fluid or Bad Transmission. The fluid looks OK and is up to level and does not smell at all burnt.

Anybody who has any idea about this would be greatly appretiated. There are so many sensors that I wouldn't know where to start, and I don't want to pull the Transmission if it could be another problem. Also: I just replaced the gear shift before all this happened and I had to hand wire the O/D. I have a Haynes manual and a few smarts, so I figure I can fix this with a little help from some friends! Thanks again Guys!:help:

Back