• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

I put 80,000 miles on my Contour last weekend.

96RedSE5Sp

Hard-core CEG'er
On Sunday morning, my car had 46,000 miles on it.

I drove to Oneonta where Chris installed my new (to me) SVT gauge cluster.

When I got home, I noticed that I had 123,000 on my odometer.

Is there any way to fix this? Can I put my old odometer into my new SVT gauge cluster.

Is it really that easy to falsify the mileage on a Contour?

You're not thinking outside the box..

He drove to a guys house, purchased an SVT cluster to put in his Non-SVT. He got home and realized that the new (to him) cluster had a different mileage than his ACTUAL engine/chassis mileage.

Check the old forums (www.contour.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php) and search for odometer changing procedures.. there was a description of how to do it, but it wasn't linked to an official how-to as to avoid legal problems, IIRC.

yep tom,it is that easy to change the mileage in these,and alot of car's. the ecu doesnt record the mileage in our case. i dont remember if i was succesful or not,but i remember trying to take my actual odometer out of my stock cluter and putting it in my svt cluster...this was many many moons ago though.

You can roll back the odometer with your finger. I think I rolled it from the back of the cluster iirc. I think there is a backing plate you have to unscrew. I did it with my SVT cluster when I installed it in my SE.

You can roll back the odometer with your finger. I think I rolled it from the back of the cluster iirc. I think there is a backing plate you have to unscrew. I did it with my SVT cluster when I installed it in my SE.

a backing plate as well as one main gear, IIRC... I am not sure..

You're not thinking outside the box..

He drove to a guys house, purchased an SVT cluster to put in his Non-SVT. He got home and realized that the new (to him) cluster had a different mileage than his ACTUAL engine/chassis mileage.
Been a long day :help:

Im surprised I didn't see a trailer home in the background. I understand the guy hit a deer and what not, but seriously, are you just planning on leaving it like that?

On Sunday morning, my car had 46,000 miles on it.

I drove to Oneonta where Chris installed my new (to me) SVT gauge cluster.

When I got home, I noticed that I had 123,000 on my odometer.

Is there any way to fix this? Can I put my old odometer into my new SVT gauge cluster.

Is it really that easy to falsify the mileage on a Contour?

Yes you can install your old odometer into the cluster. Be aware that you'll have to gently pull the needle off and need a way to re-calibrate your speedometer when you go to put it back on.
Otherwise it's as simple as removing some screws and unplugging the motor from each cluster and swapping them as a unit.

Yes you can install your old odometer into the cluster. Be aware that you'll have to gently pull the needle off and need a way to re-calibrate your speedometer when you go to put it back on.
Otherwise it's as simple as removing some screws and unplugging the motor from each cluster and swapping them as a unit.

How do you recalibrate a speedometer? I wouldn't know where to begin.

For a second there I was what the heck when I read the title of the post. Good luck with changing the mileage. I would use the GPS to adjust the speedo thats what I did when I took my needle off.

80,000 miles on a tank of gas. I bet even Reebs would be impressed with that gas millage...

Back