• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

2.5 GL swap into a SVT, Should I?

mxmuzzy

New CEG'er
I have a dilema.:shrug:
I picked up a 96 Contour GL 2.5L with a bad Auto Trans about a year ago. After making the purchase I realized it wasn't worth the money to replace/rebuild the tranny. So after trying to decide what to do with the car , I finally just put it on craigslist 2 days ago to try to get rid of it.
The day after I put it on craigslist, someone put up a 98 SVT with a bad engine for $900.
Now my mind is spinning, do I pick up this SVT an throw my V6 in it, would it be a pretty straight forward swap? Is it worth $900? Will my wife kill me:blackeye: if I even think of trying this since the car I have has just sat for a year?
The car I have, engine seems strong, but I have never driven it because of the bad trans, so I am really unsure of the reliability of the engine. It was a poor decision to buy it in the first place, but if I get a decent SVT out of it for another $900, why not? If I do decide to do this, I'll be back for help on what all I need/should replace/swap.
Thanks for the advice.

I would do it. Just be honest about what motor setup you have.

or if you want to make it a little more authentic you can swap over the cams, upper and lower intakes, and fuel rail with SVT injectors and valve covers and you have yourself pretty much an SVT engine minus like 5 horsepower.

or if you want to make it a little more authentic you can swap over the cams, upper and lower intakes, and fuel rail with SVT injectors and valve covers and you have yourself pretty much an SVT engine minus like 5 horsepower.

second that plan.... but even if you skip the cams you still have more power than a stock 2.5 but yeah cams would make it good.

Back