• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Can't shift into park!!!

97AL

New CEG'er
I've heard stories of people not being able to shift out of park but this is rediculous. I came home from work and it wouldn't go past reverse, it would go into other gears just fine. I put it in netural to park it for the night. Any ideas???

Certainly not normal but at leats you will be able to drive it. What if it wouldn't go into reverse. So there is always worse.
I haven't heard or experienced this but it may be as simple as shifter cable alingment issue. Or maybe the unlock button on the shifter knob.
Let's see what others say.

That's true, it's just funny cause this week. the driver window stopped working and the A/C sometimes works.

You probably have the same problem that people have when they can't get the vehicle OUT of park. There is a safety switch that when the brake pedal is depressed, it allows movement in/out of the park position. That's about all I know about the topic...good luck.

Do you mean
1) the shifter does not show it at "P"?

or

2) the transmission will not go to Park?

If 1, then the indicator is broken. You just have to go by "feel". Mine just broke a few months ago but I don't want to deal with remove the stalk and then reparing it. Most of the time, I don't look at the shift lever anyway.

If 2, then you may want to check if the Manual Lever Position sensor needs readjustment. Maybe the screw got loose ...
or maybe the tranny is on its last legs.

Manual Lever Position Switch/Transmission Range Sensor

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5

The manual lever position sensor (transmission range sensor) is only used on vehicles equipped with an automatic transaxle. It performs several tasks, it acts as the neutral safety switch, the back-up light switch, and also is an input to the PCM of gear position.
  1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Place the transmission manual control lever in the NEUTRAL position.
  3. Remove the engines air intake resonators and Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor.
  4. Disconnect the electrical harness connector from the manual lever position sensor, which is located on top of the automatic transaxle.

Fig. Fig. 1: View of the manual lever position sensor

0900c152800a8da4.jpg

Fig. Fig. 2: Unplug the connector from the MLP sensor

0900c152800a8da5.jpg

Fig. Fig. 3: Remove the two retaining bolts and ...

0900c152800a8da6.jpg

Fig. Fig. 4: ... remove the sensor from the transaxle

1. Remove the 2 retaining bolts and remove the manual lever position sensor.

To install:
  1. Make sure that the transmission manual control lever is in the NEUTRAL position.
  2. Reinstall the manual lever position sensor and loosely install the 2 retaining bolts.
  3. Align the sensor slots using Transmission Range Sensor Tool T94P-70010-AH, or equivalent.

0900c152800a8da7.jpg

Fig. Fig. 5: Sensor alignment tool

1. Torque the retaining bolts to 84-108 inch. lbs. (9-12 Nm).
  2. Reinstall the electrical harness connector to the sensor.
  3. Reinstall the MAF sensor and the air intake resonator.
  4. Reconnect the negative battery cable.
  5. Engage the parking brake and check for proper operation and adjustment of the manual lever position sensor as follows:
    1. Check that the engine will only crank in the PARK or NEUTRAL positions.
    2. Check that the back-up lamps only work in the REVERSE position.

ADJUSTMENT

See Figures 5 and 6

0900c152800a8da8.jpg

Fig. Fig. 6: Sensor alignment tool as installed

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Place the transmission manual control lever in the NEUTRAL position.
  3. Remove the engines air intake resonators and Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor.
  4. Loosen the 2 retaining bolts on the manual lever position sensor.
  5. Make sure that the transmission manual control lever is in the NEUTRAL position.
  6. Align the sensor slots using Transmission Range Sensor Tool T94P-70010-AH, or equivalent.
  7. Torque the retaining bolts to 84-108 inch. lbs. (9-12 Nm).
  8. Reinstall the MAF sensor and the air intake resonators.
  9. Reconnect the negative battery cable.
  10. Engage the parking brake and check for proper operation and adjustment of the manual lever position sensor as follows:
    1. Check that the engine will only crank in the PARK or NEUTRAL positions.
    2. Check that the back-up lamps only work in the REVERSE position.

Last edited:
Before you mess with the mlps look at it

Before you mess with the mlps look at it

Put the trans in neutral and then look at the mlps to see if the score mark on the shaft in the middle lines up with the notch (or vs) on the mlps. If so then you have a pretty good idea that the mlps is correct. Don't think that is your problem.

You might listen to the area near the shift lever. Push the brake on and off and listen for a solenoid clicking. If not, then maybe your problem.

To shift the trans into reverse from neutral you need to push the lever with your thumb. Has that become disconnected? Check it out.

I had a similar problem in the past. As stupid as it sounds, did you make sure the key was completely in the off position?

I had a similar problem in the past. As stupid as it sounds, did you make sure the key was completely in the off position?

I think you must be confused....you can't pull the key out unless the car is in park, but you can put the car in park with the engine still running (key in on position) lol :crazy:

When this happened I had just got home from a drive, so the engine was normal temp and running. the lever wouldn't move past the R, so ended up kicking it, and now it works. thanks for all the info, I'll check it out.

Back