• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Manual shifter knob just twists off?

gdk771

New CEG'er
I am attempting to replace the manual shift knob on my ZTech Contour 5 speed but can't get the *#% knob to budge. The entire shift lever wants to twist with it and I am afraid I am going to break something in the base of my shift column if I force it. Is there some sort of trick to this? I don't see where the reverse lockout ring would interfere with it coming off as it is underneath the shifter knob but perhaps I am missing something? Any way to keep the shift lever from "turning" with the knob? Is there some sort of locking pin that I need to remove first that I don't see at the base of the knob?

thanks.

the shifter cant turn while its installed so im not sure what pat your talking about that might be spinning. just turn the knob counter clockwise to remove it. :shrug:

The ENTIRE shaft is turning when I attempt to remove the knob. I am afraid I will break something at the base if I turn too hard.

that shouldnt be possible unless something is already broken. the only thing i can suggest is to pull up the shift boot and grab the shaft with a pair of vice grips to hold it while you turn the shift knob.

Hmm...

Hmm...

So the shaft should be stationary? The transmission has a brand new clutch assembly in it so perhaps the mechanic screwed something up in the base? I got the car this way so I have no idea what they did to it. The clutch does engage very quickly however so it is working good. I'll try the pliers trick. Thanks.

the shifter might twist slightly. it doesn't on my 95. just assuming things are worn.

yes it just twists off ...

Hummm i have the same prob, the shifter does not move but the knob worn budge! I have a B&M shifter so im like WTF. I will try the vice grip as well.

Back