• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

My next tour...tranny probs??

tredse1

CEG'er
hey guys check out this tour i'm biding on....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...viewitem=&item=320238060475&_trksid=p3907.m29

what do you guys think? need new tranny or something simple? either way i can't pass it up at that price...if i can't get the tranny go'n or a new one i'll just part it out probly to you guys

personally i thought it odd for all gears to be out, as he describes it they all pull just slip too much to be safe, mabey i could flush the tranny and add a cooler...think that will bring it back or am i dreaming?

LOL, do not forget about the shot wiring :shrug:

The wiring in engine compartment has the coating flaking off and therefore would need rewiring. I believe this issue is causing some of the sensors to not operate properly due to shorting wires (maybe causing the trans problem,don't want to get your hopes up though)

i can fix that, yes it'll be a PITA but i can handle that...curious tho, wonder if that may be causing the tranny probs:shrug: i wouldn't think so but i would love a change of luck like that!!

....what do you guys think? need new tranny or something simple? either way i can't pass it up at that price...if i can't get the tranny go'n or a new one i'll just part it out probly to you guys

personally i thought it odd for all gears to be out, as he describes it they all pull just slip too much to be safe, mabey i could flush the tranny and add a cooler...think that will bring it back or am i dreaming?
Yes, you will probably need a new tranny or you can pick it up and part it out. Can't go wrong at that price.

And yes, you are dreaming if you think a flush will make the tranny work again.

Note that it being a 95, the front body parts will not work with your 98.

Yes, you will probably need a new tranny or you can pick it up and part it out. Can't go wrong at that price.

And yes, you are dreaming if you think a flush will make the tranny work again.

Note that it being a 95, the front body parts will not work with your 98.

thanks, did not know that the body parts were that different, but that's cool. kinda figured the tranny is trash..but i try to be optimistic! i'l probly put a junkyard tranny in it cuz my sis needs a car, then see what's next for the old tour once she gets her own.

ok, let's assume i'm gonna need a new tranny...is there a year difference? ie..is the post 98 ATX the same as the pre98? or better yet...will the post98 fit..bolt pattern ect..? halfshafts? any hint would be nice.

also..does anyone near OK have a good used one they wanna sell? if so PM me cuz i'll obviously need one soon!

Anything i'm not thinking of guys?

you said you can fix the flaking wiring harness?

wow, you should be making this more public, I had no idea you had the ability to pull all of the wiring out of the engine bay and make sure that every wire isnt flaking/causing shorts. Must take you hours.

you said you can fix the flaking wiring harness?

wow, you should be making this more public, I had no idea you had the ability to pull all of the wiring out of the engine bay and make sure that every wire isnt flaking/causing shorts. Must take you hours.

um..gotta pull the engine/tranny anyway..so wheres the prob? yes it's a long PITA but it's really a simple concept. also...i'm an electronic tech that works on vehicles quite a bit, so no this really ain't that big of a deal to me...like i said it is a PITA tho.

GOOD NEWS!!!! I won it!!! yeah for me!! i will be picking it up within the next week or two, waiting on an email to set up the pick-up times.

and yes, i got it for $245!:laugh:

has any one here tried to rebuild a tranny themselves? i am think'n about tak'n a shot at it:shrug: the kit from autozone is only like $170...slightly cheaper than the $1700 quoted to have a shop do it.

:cool: hip hip horray!!! i brought the dolly to work tonight! i'm pick'n my newest member of the family in the morning! :laugh: oh yeah..the guy says now that it has 1st and 2nd, it just slips really bad in 3rd:shrug: i'll just see for myself when i get there.

there she is, sitting in my front yard!! i drove round the block...it doesn't do very good in Drive...slams into gear if you rev it up, but if you put it in 1st or 2nd it acctually drives ok. didn't get up the nerve to take her out on the open road due to the wireing, but that will come soon enough. oh and reverse works fine too.

come on guys i need some input here!!

ok, i drove it up the highway today..tranny does great as long as you put it in 2nd it drives fine up to about 60, so i'm sure it's just 3rd with issues. once up around 60 i tried putting it in Drive, it dumpped at first like it was in nuetral, then after a second it smoothed out and went into 3rd and drove real smooth. i'm wondering how long it would last if i put some lucas in it, if it wud help at all:shrug:

what do you think? i need help guys..ain't that why were here? to share expereinces?

Manual Lever Position Sensor aka Transmission Range Sensor.

Turbine Shaft Speed Sensor

How to link posted previously.

I played with it somemore...it will take off in D but you have to feather the gas back and forth to find the sweet wpot and once you find the exact rpm it takes off...i'm think'n that part cud be evidence of the TSS:shrug:

In-depth Trans information

In-depth Trans information

Try CD4E FAQ from old CEG, lots there, some links may not work.

Also Btrautman's ATX picture story, go to my FTP server (pics disappeared from OLD CEG but I saved them one day when they were there.)

http://www.frontiernet.net/~jdre/

Click Duratec and ATX Rebu..

Click on a "Page with folded corner icon" to open, as it would on CEG:cool:

You can save them by getting each page open, and File save as...

if anybody care here's what i have done so far...

flushed using the drain three times method...12qts of new fluid
also added trans-x

it still has probs taking off in D, but overall it drives just fine as long as you manually shift, still some slipping in 3rd, I drove it up to 80mph with no probs by manually shifting it, except OD of-course, 3rd to 4th is the only shift it makes flawlessly evertime. reverse works great

D works aprx 1 out of every 10 trys or so...if you wait a min or two it will kick in always, by D works i mean it takes off and shifts like normal, w/o probs.

i'm kinda wondering if it cud be the TSS, a buddy of mine thought it might be the torque converter:shrug:

Back