• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

intake test dyno

This minimal improvemnet over very little of the engines performance operating range does not make up for up to the 6% of TQ it lacks for well over 1000 RPM. Something that is not sinking in.

PurpleMystique said:
I'll take better horsepower and torque over nearly the entire range over a ~3hp advantage in a 300 rpm range.

Nobody listened when I said that right away on the first page, either.

That poor horse
beathorse.gif

Still taking a beating
deadhorse.gif

Is it dead yet?
deadhorse.gif

i'd also like to know this. and also the runner lengths on all the manifolds. is that documented anywhere?

Runner lengths shouldn't be too hard to measure. At least to get a rough measurement.

As far as I know nobody has actually measured the plenum volumes.

You are all welcome about the results I couldn't do these test without all ya'll support with the NPG products ya'll purchase. There are alot of good points that were made and I am sure we will figure out everything in the end.

Rara sorry I was pulling my hair out due to time plus I had to the tune the first intake and pull to the 13.5 A/F so they were charging me over a $110 Hr so I somehow was sidetracked from the datalogs and I am sure it would have helped alot but we have to live with the raw facts on the dyno.

I will do some measurements on the ports but honestly the 2001 and 2004 have the same size ports( long) and the escape was short and tapered (large)
The 2004 had larger plenum than the 2001 setup where the Mazda 6 had the most volume. Now the difference are very noticeable to the naked eye too. The SVT and the MAzda6 need alot of airflow to generate power because both of the intakes have cams with alot of overlap. I can't wait to put the VVT engine in the last test to really show what intake can make the best power especially when I am controlling the cams angles with the VVT.

joey. give me a quick guesstimate here. if i run a ported out 3L split port LIM, gutted for no secondaries...... and a SVT UIM....... how will my power curve look?

next. i have spacers i was going to tap out for direct port nitrous but i havent yet. so at this moment they are 3/4" spacers that i could put between the LIM and UIM. would this benefit me any (making the runners that much longer?)

Hey Joey... do you know when you'll make it back to the dyno for the SVT cam tests? Also... was that SVT UIM stock, or was it further extruded?

Have you thought about doing the manifold test on a turbo car? Those results might differ considerably from the n/a UIM tests.

The spacers will not hurt your performance may give you more lowend power down low but will not gain any up top. I think overall your power band will be normal but the after 6k all the manifold have the same power so far especaily the escape and SVT show they are still breathing up top. The oval port are tuned in for midrange power so you will get a resonance bump in power due to the postive pressure of pressure waves buulding on the oval port. I think by modifying the ports we lose the original tune for the intake. We need to try to start playing around with what modofication we can do to boost the power.

I am booked with orders so I don't see myself hitting the dyno till summer so far. Joey

if you start messing w/that wouldnt the imrc need to be reoptimized? i know on the mazda kl engine when you start messing w/porting the manifold you need to redo your vris points to the optimal points. i'd assume since it works on a similar idea we'd need to do the same:shrug:

Guys, I haven't forgot about this thread, just haven't had a chance to go through everything in depth. plus, at work I can't see the posted dyno plots, lol.

there have been some good points made here, but some statements were made about cams that doesn't fit my understanding. please let me know if the following is not correct:

1. SVT cams have more overlap than the stock (2.5 or 3.0) cams
2. Overlap improves performance in naturally-aspirated engines by drawing more air into the combustion chamber .
3. Overlap decreases performance in forced-induction engines because air escapes the combustion chamber during the compression stroke.
4. Therefore, the SVT cams do not increase performance - and my decrease performance - in applications of forced-induction.

yeah but isn't fastcougar using SVT cams in his car? that thing is a monster from what I have read.

the question is not whether or not his car hauls ass. his car is a monster b/c he has the boost cranked up high, is using a .82 A/R turbine housing, and routed the piping as efficiently as he could. therefore, the question is whether or not he could be making even more power if he was not using SVT cams and the SVT UIM.

for a reasonable comparison, we need two cars, each with a similar engine configuration (i.e. 3.0 heads and 3.0 intake manifold) with the same turbo kit (or supercharger kit) installed and set to the same boost, one with stock cams and one with SVT cams. with all the NPG kit buyers, we should be able to find two cars to go head-to-head.

meanwhile, i'd still like someone to point out whether or not the statements (1-3) i posted previously are correct. the conclusion (4) follows from the premises. if the premises are correct, logic forces the conclusion.

Back