• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Fuel system evap

Goumba

Hard-core CEG'er
I will be removing the fuel evap system from the rally car. I know there's a pressure line that goes from the fuel tank to the firewall. I will be disconnecting the piece on the firewall that the wiring harness connects to. I will also be disconnecting everything unfetneath the spare tire well. I know the computer is not going to like the fact that I am disconnecting all of this. What I would like to know is, should I leave anything connected to the wire harness? Do I need to put any codes in the ecu to ignor the evap system? Is there anything that I don't know that I should be aware of? I'm askinkg this now while the car is disassembled so that I don't find a problem once it is all assembled and have to tear it apart again. Thanks for any help.

As far as I can tell, you shouldnt need to leave any part of it connected. But I would disable the EVAP in the ECU anyways so that you don't have to look at the codes for that every time you have to do diagnostics, of course you leave on the fuel level sensor, since it operates the gauge as well. I'm fairly certain that evap doesn't effect engine management beyond putting up a flag for emissions. Since your car is a dedicated track car and you dont need to pass emmissions for it on the street, you shouldnt have any problem.

Just curious, no way to use evap on your fuel cell? I mean why not just tie the vent line in to the filler neck?

Just curious, no way to use evap on your fuel cell? I mean why not just tie the vent line in to the filler neck?

why its just one more unnecessary thing hanging off the bottom of the car. Goumba, ya, it can be programmed out of the system with no effect (I've already stripped the wiring for it out of the car).

the only portion I still have left in my car is the evap hoses off the gas tank.... any chance you could snap a photo of those lines on your car for comparison.

and one important thing to note, the evap canister does provide one vital feature you still need, fuel cut-off in the event of a roll over. I've been trying to figure out what needs to be done to correct that but I've yet to pull the rear subframe to verify how those lines are routed.

No photos. The gas tank has been out of my car for quite some time now. I've also torn the entire evap system out by now. All I could show you at this point is what nothing looks like in the empty shell of my car. I thought I could just program it out of the ecu the same as egr. I didn't think of the fuel cut off. Good thing I asked questions. Thanks guys.

since you have a fuel cell, the vent line should have an anit-rollover valve in it. if it doesnt you need to put one in. also, it should be fairly simple to wire the stock rollover/crash fuel pump cutoff (in the drivers footwell) to the pump in your fuel cell. just run the power wire for the pump through it, IIRC its only a 2 wire connector on the cutoff switch, power in from the relay/fuse and power out to the pump.

sorry I think I used terms interchangeably. yes you need to keep the fuel pump cutoff and thats stupidly easy to relocate if you don't want to keep it on the driver's a-pillar because its just wired inline with the pumps positive wire (if you ever plan to cage it, I'm going to assume it would need to be relocated anyways, I've got my wiring prepped to the point that that is the only thing that currently interferes with sending it off to a chassy shop right now).

but ya I was referring to the one way valve that needs to be placed on the vent line. I need to do that still as my stock tank will be kept for the time being... any info you can post up public or private on getting a fuel cell in there would be greatly appreciated as thats my next stage of the project.

I probabley won't order a fuel cell for another week or two. I will provide info on how it goes in for anyone who wants it.

Back