+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Water Pump Restrictor Plate

I'm interested in changing mine soon but can someone take a picture of the housing and the waterpump seperate from each other. I just want to see the difference and what each part is before I go and do some surgery on my car. Thanks
    1999 CONTOUR SE 84,xxx miles
    1965 mustang- rack and pinion, hot 302ci w/ C-4 and 9" posi
    2006 Fusion se
    2008 Dodge Charger (Police Cruiser)

You can only put it back together one way and it's rather obvious. Make sure you know where the 3 long bolts go. Read the FAQ and get a CD for your car.
    -Andy
    Andy W.
    The problem with America is stupidity.
    I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity,
    but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Uh, hmm, well, uh, I don't know where he's not. It wouldn’t be inaccurate to assume that I couldn’t exactly not say that it is or isn’t almost partially incorrect. Oh, on the contrary. I'm possibly more or less not definitely rejecting the idea that in no way with any amount of uncertainty that I undeniably do or do not know where he shouldn’t probably be, if that indeed wasn’t where he isn’t. Even if he wasn’t at where I knew he was, that’d mean I’d really have to know where he wasn't.

If I go to an Automotive store and tell them that I want a w/p for my car, does the housing come with it? I'm definitely going to check to see if it has the metal impellar
    1999 CONTOUR SE 84,xxx miles
    1965 mustang- rack and pinion, hot 302ci w/ C-4 and 9" posi
    2006 Fusion se
    2008 Dodge Charger (Police Cruiser)

I don't think there have been any occurances of the later model white platic impellers failing. You can go to a local store and they'll be able to look up the w/p for you... but it's just the w/p (w/o housing). That'll run you about $70. Or, you could get the kit: w/p, housing, and both primary hoses (everything already assembled)...... from Bill J for about $70.

When I replaced my w/p the first time.... I wish I just got the kit. With gasket maker and a gasket, I still had a persistent minor leak.
    morbid
    2011 Edge SEL AWD (black) - daily driver
    2000 Contour SVT (black); #61 (Sept 17, 1999)
    3L with ADC turbo kit; 325hp / 338tq @ 7psi
    car is down with a broken tranny

Ok i just replaced my WP not to long ago!

Questions

1. So when my car sits for more than a day and i start it up there is a rattle sound for 2 seconds then it quits. This could be that metal ring that also fell out of my WP? That sound was driving my crasey!

2. If i had over filled my coolant tank by 1 inch would it lead to the weap on my WP to leak.

Thanks and i hope you can help me clear things up!

I have not heard your car but I doubt it.

Most likely the water pump wouldn't make much noise as the impeller is plastic. I didn't hear any noise on mine when I found the plate loose. It would help if you stuck a listening device on the water pump when the car is making noise. A stethiscope, long screwdriver with one end on the pump and the other to your ear, a length of hose held to the pump and the other to your ear.

More likely you have some timing chain rattle. An oil filter with a silicon anti -drain back valve may solve the problem, or a new filter, even the ones with the good anti-drain back valve can leak down sometimes. The timing chain has a hydraulic (actually two, one for each bank) timing chain tensioner. If it leaks down, the timing chain ratles from looseness for a moment until oil pressure builds up. It is also possible that the tensioners have failed or the tensioner guides have worn, but that isn't common. The noise will be on the opposie side of the engine from the water pump.

You didn't tell us what year your car is. It makes it difficult to answer your questions if we have to guess. If your car is a 95, it is more prone to timing chain tensioner failure. The design was improved for 96.
    Jim Johnson
    98 SVT
    03 Escape Limited
    10 Fusion Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Aspenmeteor View Post
    .... If i had over filled my coolant tank by 1 inch would it lead to the weap on my WP to leak.
    No. We are supposed to overfill it at least 0.5 inch (or the coolant light comes on for no apparent reason). If the WP leaks, it is because wrong gasket material was used or bolts were not torque to spec.

I have a 2000 Ford contour svt. 90,000 miles on it i do use a OEM motorcraft oil filter for oil and motorcraft 5-30 during the winter!

I do race auto-x (might have somthing to do with it) with it and i dont notice the sound untill i start it up after it sits for a wile. I will try to isolate the sound here in a few days and get back to you guy's

Also what is the torque spec on the water pump bolts? My new water pump did not come with them so i snuged them down to like 12-15 f/lbs

Your description sounds even more like oil filter leak down allowing for some timing chain rattle. Ford claims that a little timing chain rattle at start up is harmless, just annoying.
    Jim Johnson
    98 SVT
    03 Escape Limited
    10 Fusion Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    Your description sounds even more like oil filter leak down allowing for some timing chain rattle. Ford claims that a little timing chain rattle at start up is harmless, just annoying.
    Ive tried just about every filter (K&N, Mobil 1, Motorcraft etc.) and I still have the rattle on cold start-up.
    -tropictour
    2000 Contour SVT
    Tropic Green
    SHO Shop CAI, BAT Pipe, PS/Alt. UDP's
    Bassani, WR Headers/Y-pipe
    Full HMS Trans./Fidanza Flywheel/SPEC Stg. 1

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast