• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Rear main seal leak?

Myrosia

CEG'er
Hey guys. I never had any leaks with this car before.

It's 1999 Contour, 4L, DOHC.

After I replaced the valve cover seal, a few weeks later when having my oil change, they mentioned I had a leak under near engine and tranny meet. They said it might be the rear main seal.

So,

1. is it a coincidence I change the valve cover seal then I get this leak?

2. someone said to check the PCV valve although, I replaced that last year.

3. for now, what's the best recourse to correct the leak without having to replace the rear main seal?

Thanks

bad valve cover seal leaks at the back somewere oil runs down and it looks like a maine seal if ur car is auto take off the srhoud at the botom of the trans and u can see the situation better it will all be wet as hell inside the belhoseing if its a rear maine if u got a 5 spd pull the starter out and take a look at the flywheel it will be wet and so will the starter snout if u have a leak in most cases the ppl doing the work are just trying to make $$$$ off a fictional problem

bad valve cover seal leaks at the back somewere oil runs down and it looks like a maine seal if ur car is auto take off the srhoud at the botom of the trans and u can see the situation better it will all be wet as hell inside the belhoseing if its a rear maine if u got a 5 spd pull the starter out and take a look at the flywheel it will be wet and so will the starter snout if u have a leak in most cases the ppl doing the work are just trying to make $$$$ off a fictional problem

Periods. Please. Use. Them.

Back