• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

SVT Engine knock: Can this be repaired???

Hey CEG world,

So I've only had my SVT ('98) for about 3 weeks and as I was driving home from work I turned down the music and heard a pretty noticeable knock coming from the engine bay. So I pulled over and it sounded like it was coming from the valve train on the head closest to the cabin. I'm dreading that this means a new engine. I got the car from a guy who seemed to had baby it. However, it does have 149k on it. So here is video clip of the engine knock i hope you guys can hear it well and give me an idea of what I'm looking forward to :(

Sounds a little distorted

Last edited:
Hey CEG world,

So I've only had my SVT ('98) for about 3 weeks and as I was driving home from work I turned down the music and heard a pretty noticeable knock coming from the engine bay. So I pulled over and it sounded like it was coming from the valve train on the head closest to the cabin. I'm dreading that this means a new engine. I got the car from a guy who seemed to had baby it. However, it does have 149k on it. So here is video clip of the engine knock i hope you guys can hear it well and give me an idea of what I'm looking forward to :(

Sounds a little distorted too : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKf4Rejo4d8&feature=youtube_gdata_player
http:// https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7InKZr5H8CQRWFySkJHNEtiVzg/edit

The link doesn't work.

I was able to watch the video that motor is toast throw it in the scrap pile it's gone.

I think my audio was distorted though. I watched it myself and it didn't sound that bad in person. I watched some other videos and it could be a lifter issue. Anyone have any videos of what a bad lifter on these engines sounds like?

I have no power loss, it starts every time. I did stop driving it though just in case. Would you be able to not experience power loss if the issue was a rod bearing or the engine was toast?

these engines don't typically get bad lifters. Check that the spark plugs are tight. Often rod knock sounds like its coming from the head.

I was able to watch the video that motor is toast throw it in the scrap pile it's gone.

So I called over to Fairway Engine Exchange in Sterling Heights, MI about this issue and sent them the video. They said the pattern of the rattle wasn't constant enough to be an internal engine problem and referred me to Classic Auto Repair on Mound road and 15. They checked it out and it ended up being an IDLER pulley and belt of all things. $184, back on the road.

$184 for an idler pulley!!!!

Thats my first repair to this car so didn't realize thats expensive for the pulley replacement and serp belt.

UPDATE: Actually they found it to be the bearings on the Alternator and want to replace it and the belt for $430. I know its not a cheap alternator and from the looks of the tutorials I've found its definitely not going to be a job I can do myself (I've replaced alternators before that are fairly easy to get to). So is $430 a decent price for Alt replacement?

430 isnt bad if it includes the alternator cost. you dont need a belt if you just put a new belt when they swapped the idler pulley because its all on the same belt.

Last edited:
Thats my first repair to this car so didn't realize thats expensive for the pulley replacement and serp belt.

UPDATE: Actually they found it to be the bearings on the Alternator and want to replace it and the belt for $430. I know its not a cheap alternator and from the looks of the tutorials I've found its definitely not going to be a job I can do myself (I've replaced alternators before that are fairly easy to get to). So is $430 a decent price for Alt replacement?

Yeah the belt is already on there.

wow.. it really sounded like a rod knock.. be happy it wasnt. and yes that is expensive for a idle pulley. but cheaper fix than a engine replacement.

Hosed. 20 for pulley 20 for belt.. Could have saved a lot and had tools left over if you did it yourself.

Back