• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Plug wire question

Well yesterday I get in my car after it has been running perfectly all week, its a 1999 SVT with a 2000 SVT motor, and the check engine light is blinking. I get my code puller out and it says Cylinder 4 is misfiring. So I pop the hood and check cylinder 4's plug wire to make sure its connected to the box, it is then I noticed a small cut in the wire near the front of the motor, so I went and picked up a plug wire set but its raining pretty heavy here so I changed just cylinder 4's wire, then it ran perfect. Question is since im a car salesman and work 6 days a week 12 hours a day with an hour commute the only day I have off is sundays and its raining cats and dogs here, is it okay for me to replace just that wire and still drive the car till I have time to change the others. Is the differance in old wires on 5 of the 6 cylinders going to dangerous???

Well yesterday I get in my car after it has been running perfectly all week, its a 1999 SVT with a 2000 SVT motor, and the check engine light is blinking. I get my code puller out and it says Cylinder 4 is misfiring. So I pop the hood and check cylinder 4's plug wire to make sure its connected to the box, it is then I noticed a small cut in the wire near the front of the motor, so I went and picked up a plug wire set but its raining pretty heavy here so I changed just cylinder 4's wire, then it ran perfect. Question is since im a car salesman and work 6 days a week 12 hours a day with an hour commute the only day I have off is sundays and its raining cats and dogs here, is it okay for me to replace just that wire and still drive the car till I have time to change the others. Is the differance in old wires on 5 of the 6 cylinders going to dangerous???
]

That is fine. In the older days that was common pratice, to just replace the bad wire because of the cost. The danger was the flashing light, which is a cat damaging missfire because of the raw fuel being dump into the cat. The longer you go with it like that, the more of a chance you take, that the cat could be damaged. So your good for now as long as there is no other missfires.

]

That is fine. In the older days that was common pratice, to just replace the bad wire because of the cost. The danger was the flashing light, which is a cat damaging missfire because of the raw fuel being dump into the cat. The longer you go with it like that, the more of a chance you take, that the cat could be damaged. So your good for now as long as there is no other missfires.

yeah I didnt drive it on the misfire at all and after the new wire the problem went away. No other cylinders misfiring. The wire i changed had a hole clean thru it.

Back