• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

The best/brightest headlight bulbs...

ukfan50

CEG'er
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/

OK since I've read thru this "lighting thread" and read allot of information that is not correct, I thought I would do everyone a favor and post this.

I 1st found out about the website above while owning my 98 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS, from a forum dedicated to 2.5RS's specifically. I think this website will clear up which headlight bulbs are truly the best & brightest. Read and you will learn allot!

No thanks. I'd rather not search his cheesy site when all its gonna tell me is to add a relay to give the bulb max power and use a white bulb instead of a colored bulb.

Well don't then, I posted this for people who wanna know the truth and have a source to be able to buy. I am in no way affiliated with that website but his prices sure do beat Silverstars & the BS marketing ploy done by Sylvania in the US. You prolly think the Sylvania SilverStars are the longest lasting & brightest bulb you can get for the $, when in fact it's not true what so ever. The "brightest & longest lasting" bulbs are actually not manufactured or sold in the US, but rather in Europe.

I came from a forum & community that was so open minded & everyone was very nice to here making a thread that taught me allot & saved me $ and your negative reply is what I get? Keep your negativity to yourself and off my thread if you don't like it!

Sylvania Silverstars-
Next thing I want to talk about is Sylvania Silverstars (Syl. SS). I am NOT talking about OSRAM Silverstars from overseas. This is the North American version of the Silverstar put out by Sylvania. Any auto store will tell you that the best lights they sell are the Syl. SS’s. All of North America has gotten into this mindset that Syl. SS are the best bulbs from very effective advertising from Sylvania.

The one site to take a look at and that I quote from is: http://www.bmwcca.org/members/AM/Tem...6_Light&page=1

Quoted from that site: “The Sylvania 9005 “SilverStar” highbeam bulb is advertised as making “whiter and 20% brighter” light, and this is supposed to improve the driver’s ability to use the light….What is obvious in comparing the “SilverStar” to the standard Sylvania high-beam bulb is that the SilverStar makes less light than a standard bulb. The difference at the brightest point in the beam is 77 foot-candles from the SilverStar, and 109 footcandles from the normal high-beam bulb. This equates to ~23% less light.”

Now yes you’re going to say “well I have them in my car, and they look brighter.” I had them in my car at one point in time as well. And yes I agree that they do “look” brighter. But the fact is they are not. The Syl. SS has a blue coating on the bulb. The blue coating does make the light look a blueish tint just as those “xenon bulbs.” But, basically the blue coating reduces the light output of the bulb. Remember, never will a blue or purple tint on the bulb “improve” the light output.

I will again refer you to read Daniel Stern write up about blue coatings on bulbs: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...good/good.html

Osram Silverstars–
So now that you know the truth about the Sylvania Silverstars and all the BAD ideas with bulbs, its time to hear about the best bulbs you can buy. They are called the 55W Ultra High Efficacy Plus 50. These bulbs include the Narva Rangepower+50, Osram Silverstar, Tungsram Megalicht or Philips VisionPlus.

These bulbs produce the maximum amount of legal light and don’t have any coatings on the outside of the bulb.

- A standard bulb produces 1550 Lumens.
- A Plus +50 bulb produces 1750 lumens.

These bulbs are manufactured with the highest quality standards and are the best legal bulbs you can put into a car. I have these bulbs in my car, and I love them. They are the brightest bulbs I have used, and highly suggest these.

Well don't then, I posted this for people who wanna know the truth and have a source to be able to buy. I am in no way affiliated with that website but his prices sure do beat Silverstars & the BS marketing ploy done by Sylvania in the US. You prolly think the Sylvania SilverStars are the longest lasting & brightest bulb you can get for the $, when in fact it's not true what so ever. The "brightest & longest lasting" bulbs are actually not manufactured or sold in the US, but rather in Europe.

I came from a forum & community that was so open minded & everyone was very nice to here making a thread that taught me allot & saved me $ and your negative reply is what I get? Keep your negativity to yourself and off my thread if you don't like it!

I dont think that actually and not many people here do either. I've told people to get the HIR bulbs if they want a bulb that actually puts out light but a lot of people have moved onto HID kits which cost the same but put out even more light. I wasnt being negative but we already know that site ends up saying but thanks for trying to help out.

I dont think that actually and not many people here do either. I've told people to get the HIR bulbs if they want a bulb that actually puts out light but a lot of people have moved onto HID kits which cost the same but put out even more light. I wasnt being negative but we already know that site ends up saying but thanks for trying to help out.

No thank you! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Back