• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Transponder Key Broken

frickfrack424

New CEG'er
Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum and I hope someone here can help me out. I have a 98 Contour SE, I only had one key to the car and it snapped in the ignition. Now, I'm not worried about getting the fragment out of the ignition, that I can handle. When I stick the rest of the key in ( the stub with the transponder) it works fine. But if the remote ever dies i would not be able to get into the car or open the trunk. I would really like to find a way to get another key cut with out having to go to the dealer. I dont think I can buy a blank and get a copy cut with a broken key thats in 2 pieces. I'm hoping I can give some place the vin number and they can cut it then I can program it into the cars computer. if anyone has ever gone through this or knows anything about it, all advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank You :shrug:

Welcome :) . In the old days, keys had numbers and dealer parts counters could just cut a key from the number on it. I don't think it works that way nowadays. If you can get the broken key out, I'm positive "a real locksmith", (not those in the K-Mart or Home Depots), can cut you a new key.

even if its in half? cool, thank you. Where do you suggest I buy a blank with a transponder from? Also,I did some research and I know there are places that you can just give a copy of the registration to with the vin on it an they can cut a key for you and mail it to you. This is like 200 dollars though. I'm looking for the least expensive way to go. So far it looks like your advice is the best. I hope a real lock smith can cut a copy off a broken key.

Last edited:
Last edited:
A locksmith should be able to get the key out of the ignition and cut a new one. You can have the key cut onto a blank key without a transponder (key #- H78 or 1196CM). As long as you have the top half of the old key (part with the chip) near the ignition, the new key will start the car. Some people have zip tied the transponder key or chip near by, but this disables the PATS system. This shouldn't cost very much, only a couple bucks for the new key plus any fees they may charge to remove the broken key. Or the alternative is to pay $100 + to get a new key programmed.

Oh wow. I didnt know that the car could do that. With the broken key with the transponders end near the ignition. Thats actually very interesting. Oh man. I really hope someone can cut this key. It snapped like right at the top of the key. so one half is all ridges( in ignition) and the other half is the transponder with 1/4" of key. Yeah, i could car less about losing the security feature the transponder offers, I have a kill switch installed and hidden nicely.

Back