• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Transponder Key Broken

frickfrack424

New CEG'er
Hey everyone. I'm new to the forum and I hope someone here can help me out. I have a 98 Contour SE. I only had one key to the car and it snapped in the ignition. Now, im not worried about getting the fragment out of the ignition, that I can handle. When I stick the rest of the key in ( the stub with the transponder) it works fine. But if the remote ever dies I would not be able to get into the car or open the trunk. I would really like to find a way to get another key cut with out having to go to the dealer. I dont think I can buy a blank and get a copy cut with a broken key thats in 2 pieces. I'm hoping I can give some place the vin number and they can cut it and then I can program it into the cars computer. if anyone has ever gone through this or knows anything about it , all advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.:shrug:

Well I've never gone through that with any of my rides , so I'm afraid I'm not of much help there :eek: , but when you get it figured out , post your solution so it can be passed along to other that may heve that happen in the future .

Oh , and WILKOMMEN !

I actually got quite a few replies with very interesting ideas from some other people. One idea was to get a professional lock smith ( not a cheap k mart one) and have them cut the key from the 2 broken pieces. they should be able to do it. Another idea was very similiar, but instead of getting it cut onto a transponder key and having the key programmed, cut it onto a regular key (w/o transponder) and keep the broken stub with the transponder near the ignition when starting the car.

don't foret with your 98 you should only need one key to program others ... and you can do it yourself ...

Sorry for the hi-jack...

Hi stranger! :) Good to see that you're back. :)
We've missed you.

Back