• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Blowing fuses?

FauxhawkFox

Hard-core CEG'er
Over the past 10 years of life for my car I have gone through a certain fuse like hot cakes. I found out why.
The weather was absolutely beautiful today so I figured I would go out and do the fog light mod. When I was unscrewing the bolts that secures the panel under the steering wheel I saw smoke. I had no idea why but I knew it was electrical from the smell. I didnt unplug the battery because I was just removing the panel at that point. The smoke was coming from the top left. The wiring harness for the power mirrors were screwed right in. Now I know why I had to replace my power mirrors/radio fuse. Whenever I bumped the panel it would spark.

DSCF2482.jpg

Sorry this one is blurry but some of the insulation was actually stuck there....
DSCF2483.jpg

DSCF2478.jpg

The black wire was almost completely gone
DSCF2484.jpg

Better that you've found the problem instead of it continuing to be a problem... Damn...... I'm glad you didn't have anything worse then some smoke happen.... a melted SVT would have been much worse of a pics and vids post.

Wow Tyler! The pics you sent me earlier dont compare to these! That is insane bro.

I've seen some bad shorts...but WOW! I'm really suprised that svt is still alive and not a melted pile of steel.

Back