• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

rear o2 sensor v6

mrutkaus

CEG'er
so...read everything here, bought special $30 great neck "contour" O2 sensor tool at autozone, working from under car, can't get it.

any hints? do you do it from the top?

thanks

mike

Last edited:
Maybe if you took out the y-pipe you'd have more room to get it. I use a wrench with the y-pipe out of the way.

OY...

oh boy, thanks i guess, these are 12 year old rusted bolts...

but i am listening, and thanks,

mike
winchester va

try soaking the o2 with PB blaster. if it's never been out, well, you already know how hard it is to get out.

Could always use a plasma cutter

Plasma cutter...is this my excuse to get a Harbor Freight Plama Cutter?

I may end up cutting the car in half with it!

What a weird car, it was made for Plastic-Man.

Mike

I have found using a stubby pivot ratchet, an extension and a crows foot from underneath will usually get the rear sensor out. Just a technique I have been successful with.

... am trying to figure out what a P1132 means.
[FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]P1132 [/FONT][FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]Lack of Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Switch - Sensor Indicates Rich - Bank No. 1. [/FONT]

Firewall side, upper O2 sensor.

[FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]P1132 [/FONT][FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]Lack of Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Switch - Sensor Indicates Rich - Bank No. 1. [/FONT]

Firewall side, upper O2 sensor.

you have a pm tony. thanx. i did look it up. what i meant was how do i take care of it? the code came up IMMEDIATELY i replaced an O2 sensor.

you have a pm tony. thanx. i did look it up. what i meant was how do i take care of it? the code came up IMMEDIATELY i replaced an O2 sensor.
LOL. Give me a few minutes, please! (to edit and add more info). I just read your PM. You also mention rich codes, P0172 and P0175. If you have bigger injectors and a different fuel pump, you may have to get a tune to take those items into account.

For a "regular" engine (and OEM fuel injectors and fuel pump) in an original PCM, you may be looking:
1) Dirty air filter
2) EVAP canister failed (full of fuel)
3) Fuel pressure too high, contaminated or leaking fuel pressure
4) Bank 1 (Firewall side) Upper O2 sensor contaminated or coated with silicone or moisture.

If this happened to my car, the first thing I would do is change the air filter and see if it helps.

Then I would change out the Bank 1 Upper O2 sensor. Maybe the one which you installed recently was defective or got contaminated (or broke) while you were installing it.

Then I would do a real time scan to see what the fuel injectors are doing. If any "look" funny, I would do a UIM cleaning, in the guise of wanting to visually check the fuel injectors. If you have to replace any injectors, you will have to remove the UIM anyway.

If the EVAP canister failed, you should get some EVAP codes too.

LOL. Give me a few minutes, please! (to edit and add more info). I just read your PM. You also mention rich codes, P0172 and P0175. If you have bigger injectors and a different fuel pump, you may have to get a tune to take those items into account.

For a "regular" engine (and OEM fuel injectors and fuel pump) in an original PCM, you may be looking:
1) Dirty air filter
2) EVAP canister failed (full of fuel)
3) Fuel pressure too high, contaminated or leaking fuel pressure
4) Bank 1 (Firewall side) Upper O2 sensor contaminated or coated with silicone or moisture.

If this happened to my car, the first thing I would do is change the air filter and see if it helps.

Then I would change out the Bank 1 Upper O2 sensor. Maybe the one which you installed recently was defective or got contaminated (or broke) while you were installing it.

Then I would do a real time scan to see what the fuel injectors are doing. If any "look" funny, I would do a UIM cleaning, in the guise of wanting to visually check the fuel injectors. If you have to replace any injectors, you will have to remove the UIM anyway.

If the EVAP canister failed, you should get some EVAP codes too.

Thanx tony. i am working on the rich codes actually. joey's sending me lean tunes to account for that. the baffling thing is this...I did a datalog, and all the sensors were within the right values, or working correctly. i mean this code came up right after the sensor was installed.

Back