• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

BP CAI v3.0 - with heat shield

ButtonPuncher

Veteran CEG'er
I've gone through a few different versions of my CAI. Here's the third. Sorry only for MTX Zetecs...

1 - 2.75" elbow (for throttle body)
1 - 2.75" to 3" transition
1 - 15" of 3" O.D. stainless steel pipe - cut into one 6" long piece and three 3" long pieces (I bought a 3' piece and kept the scrap for future projects)
1 - 3" long piece of 2.75" O.D. exhaust pipe (I bought and exhaust tip from AutoZone with the right O.D. and hacked the ends off)
3 - 3" 45 degree elbows
1 - 3.25" to 3" adapter (for MAF intake side)
1 - 3" cone filter
14 - 3" liner clamps from Global Industrial
1 - small black garbage can from OfficeMax
4 - wire ties (two to hold the MAF to the driver's side motor mount, two to hold the garbage can to the frame)

The 3" long pieces of pipe (one 2.75" and the three 3" in diameter) are used for the connections between the silicone transitions/bends/elbows.

You can use regular hose clamps but I like using liner clamps because they don't dig into the silicone hoses. Normal hose clamps shred silicone hoses.

On pre-98 Zetecs, we have a seperate IAT (intake air temp sensor). That is what you see glued to the bottom of the stainless steel straight piece. I cut it out of my stock intake. You 98+ guys have a 6-wire MAF so the temp sensor is built into your MAF housing.

BTW, for those with a return style fuel system, I had to use a shorter adjustment screw on my Aeromotive adjustable FPR so that it wouldn't rub on the intake hose.

BP_CAI_3_top_batt_sm.jpg

BP_CAI_3_top_sm.jpg

Filter was a little low on the first try:
BP_CAI_3_filter_low_sm.jpg

MAF wire tied to trans/airbox mount:
BP_CAI_3_MAF_tie_sm.jpg

I really didn't want the radiator fan blowing hot air directly on the filter. I remembered Pole120's garbage can heatshield idea. A quick trip to OfficeMax and I was all set. First some test fitting...

BP_CAI_3_g_fit_top_sm.jpg

You can see my markings on here...
BP_CAI_3_g_fit_bot_sm.jpg

After chopping... (I used an air body saw to cut the can, like this one from Northern)
BP_CAI_3_g_can_bot_cut_sm.jpg

I cut the bottom of the garbage can completely off. I didn't want to create a vacuum by only having one end of the garbage can open.

BP_CAI_3_g_can_back_cut_sm.jpg

Back in the car...
BP_CAI_3_shield_top_sm.jpg

BP_CAI_3_shield_bot_sm.jpg

I should take another pic from the side. The can follows the bottom edge of the frame perfectly. It doesn't stick down below the trans. In the above pick, there is a bit of an optical illusion.

After I get my Walbro fuel pump in, and it gets warm out, I'll have to get some audio of the intake. Not as loud as a CTA, but still very good.

BP

Last edited:
I'd say somehow make some fine mesh work around the base of the heat shield. This will keep your filter considerably cleaner. Otherwise looks great.

It's not THAT low. It's even with the bottom of the frame. The water would have to be 12" deep to completely submerge the filter. It never happened in 4 years with the last couple versions and those were only 2" higher. You guys worry too much. ;)

looks good, but needs more turbo :laugh::laugh:

LOL! The sad thing is that I currently have two turbos and a supercharger on my bench. I've gotta get two out of three sold.

I'm contemplating if I want too...

Go forward with Project Timebomb (turbo the stock '96 Zetec with 185k on it)

Go completely nuts and put the FRPP head on my Focus Zetec motor, throw in turbo cams, crower rods, and diamond pistons

Go in between and just put Crower rods and Diamond pistons in my new '96 Zetec with the stock head/cams

I guess it all depends on how much money that I make on selling all of my extra stuff. ;)

And if long-tube headers come out for my '06 3L Mazda6...
http://www.cp-e.com/2019.html?open=39

BP

Ben, go join the Locost forums and i bet you could sell the SC setup. several guys are doing Zetec builds.

If i wasnt already planning on building mine with a turbo (and i had the money) i would buy the SC setup off you.

If anything elseexciting happens in this thread, I'll be subscribing. It'lll be good to see another FI Zetec Contour in the mix:drool:

I added a parts list to the original post. :cool:

I also found some pics of my version 1.0 setup. This is where I had relocated my batt to the trunk and drilled through the fender for the filter...

BP_CAI_small.jpg

BP_CAI_side_view_small.jpg

BP_CAI_wire_routing_small.jpg

BP_CAI_filter_small.jpg

BP

Back