• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Transmission misbehaving after replacing motor mounts

drydrane

Be Gentle I'm New Here
97 Contour 4cyl automatic

Shop replaced 3 motor mounts. Now the transmission shifts erratically. Sometimes it slams into gear, sometimes it "hunts" up and down. Stays busy with doing something bad practically all of the time, seems to act normal at steady speed and absolutely flat ground.

What could it be? What could it be?

The shop doesn't work on transmissions and I would like to find out if there is a likely connection between replacing motor mounts and the transmission problem I described above. I don't want to pull one on them but I do want to talk to them if it would be reasonable to assume a connection. :confused:

Are you saying..?

Are you saying..?

Are you saying that any 1 of these items can cause the tranny to act up like described?

Thanks for the welcome and the quick response, Tony.

I have been out of the car repair phase for some 20 years and I am absolutely amazed at how far the online help has come in the last few years, when I last checked them out. Top notch, professional advice with pictures and hyperlinks. This beats Chilton, Haynes, Bentley etc. Makes me think about getting back into fixing things myself again. I thank and respect all of you for trying to be so very helpful!
:)

Are you saying that any 1 of these items can cause the tranny to act up like described?
Hmmm, not really. I was just covering the bases.

"Shop replaced 3 motor mounts."
This can cause vibration if not installed correctly (bolt torque or alignment tool).

"Now the transmission shifts erratically. Sometimes it slams into gear, sometimes it "hunts" up and down."
Slamming into gear could be TSS sensor. Shifting erratically could be MLPS. In addition, if the tranny plug or any of the two other sensors were not reinstalled back correctly (or wet with water or excess oil), it could cause those symptoms.

"Stays busy with doing something bad practically all of the time,"
This makes me think of a bad tranny alignment or harsh vibration to incorrect bolt torque.

"seems to act normal at steady speed and absolutely flat ground."
This makes me suspect front and/or rear roll resistors incorrectly mounted.

Update

Update

I took our correspondence to the shop today (the edited version, just copied and pasted the text and left out names and all other such stuff).

They were agreeable to check their work over but, after several hours, they called to tell me that they had found nothing wrong.

So, I guess it's off to the transmission shop next week.

Will keep you posted.

Thank you again for your help, Toni.

Back