• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Hood lifts

guzzi svt

New CEG'er
I got mine at Auto Zone for $20 each. They go by the brand name Mighty Lift part # D95247. The cartridge is about 9 inches long with ball ends. The kit, called hood lifts, comes with 4 - 8mm threaded ball ends, 2 long shank and 2 short shank. You will have to find 2 ball ends with 6mm threads to replace front bolts on the hood bracket. Some of the other kits have these. I got mine from my brother that he had left over from a kit he had installed on one of his cars, maybe an Eagle Talon.

What I found was the ball will let the cartridge move about 15 degrees from being perpendicular to the shank of the ball end. This allows you to screw the short 8mm ball right into the hole where the body screw comes out of the fender, there is no bracket to be made. When you remove the body screw you will need to drill out the spring steel nut to ¼” or 17/64”. This is just enough to screw the 8mm ball into spring steel nut and then back that up with a hex nut. The ones in the hood bolt right into the front hole of the bracket mount.

There are two things to be careful of:
1. When drilling the drivers side fender hole out, be sure to slide a sheet metal shield between the bolthole and the wiring harness, so it won’t be damaged as the drill bit goes through. I also made a small sheet metal guard to rap around the wiring harness so the nut from the ball end wouldn’t rub into the harness.
2. When installing the cartridge, install the fender ball first. This will make sure you get that one on good. Then bring the other end up to the ball on the hood.

Back