• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

My First Ticket

Goonz SVT

Hard-core CEG'er
My luck finally ran out today, for my local people this took place at the end of the Lowell Connector. Theres a speed trap where it drops from 55 to 35 right before the traffic light at the end. I was going 55 because I know how strictly they enforce the speed limit at the connector. However I was completely unaware about the speed trap. I see the cop sitting there and at the moment im just coasting really because im coming to a stop at the intersection. I come to stop at the light and the cop pulls out behind me slowly, I can see him running my plates. Light turns green, I pull out and him behind me and then the strobes come on. I figure I wasnt doing anything wrong at all. He confronts me about the tints and I said I got them from Infiniti and he's like okay but he seemed not to worried about it and told me that he didnt see the tint and is not going to bother with it. However he then said that the speed limit at the end of the connector was 35mph and he took my license and registration without even telling me how fast I was going. He then came back with what I hoped to be a warning but it was a ticket for going 58mph in a 35mph zone for $230. Now the irony of this story is that I was on my way to class at that time, upon getting to class I found out it was canceled and so I came all the way to lowell for nothing and it cost me $230, im speechless myself really.

So now what do I do? I have never received a ticket in my entire driving time. I mean I got pulled over with the svt because of tints but I never once got a ticket. My record is clean. So now the cop see's me in a nice car and decides to give this punk kid a ticket even though I believe my offense was grounds for just a warning :nonono: Either way it is what it is and I believe I should contest because as I said, I have a clean driving record and a ticket to me seems a little too harsh and I dont want my insurance to go high. What would u guys suggest I do? What say you elky? what would u do?

My luck finally ran out today, for my local people this took place at the end of the Lowell Connector. Theres a speed trap where it drops from 55 to 35 right before the traffic light at the end. I was going 55 because I know how strictly they enforce the speed limit at the connector. However I was completely unaware about the speed trap. I see the cop sitting there and at the moment im just coasting really because im coming to a stop at the intersection. I come to stop at the light and the cop pulls out behind me slowly, I can see him running my plates. Light turns green, I pull out and him behind me and then the strobes come on. I figure I wasnt doing anything wrong at all. He confronts me about the tints and I said I got them from Infiniti and he's like okay but he seemed not to worried about it and told me that he didnt see the tint and is not going to bother with it. However he then said that the speed limit at the end of the connector was 35mph and he took my license and registration without even telling me how fast I was going. He then came back with what I hoped to be a warning but it was a ticket for going 58mph in a 35mph zone for $230. Now the irony of this story is that I was on my way to class at that time, upon getting to class I found out it was canceled and so I came all the way to lowell for nothing and it cost me $230, im speechless myself really.

So now what do I do? I have never received a ticket in my entire driving time. I mean I got pulled over with the svt because of tints but I never once got a ticket. My record is clean. So now the cop see's me in a nice car and decides to give this punk kid a ticket even though I believe my offense was grounds for just a warning :nonono: Either way it is what it is and I believe I should contest because as I said, I have a clean driving record and a ticket to me seems a little too harsh and I dont want my insurance to go high. What would u guys suggest I do? What say you elky? what would u do?

If you were speeding you were speeding. There is a reason, I am sure, why it goes from 55 to 35. The only time I recieved a ticket, my brothers speedo (digital in a 88 Lebaron FTW!) was off....and that was when I was 16. I sucked it up and delt with it. But, if you really feel like fighting it...go for it, what can it hurt? A little bit of your time?

If you were speeding you were speeding. There is a reason, I am sure, why it goes from 55 to 35. The only time I recieved a ticket, my brothers speedo (digital in a 88 Lebaron FTW!) was off....and that was when I was 16. I sucked it up and delt with it. But, if you really feel like fighting it...go for it, what can it hurt? A little bit of your time?

A warning - you may get it reduced, but it's unlikely. You were clocked doing 20 over in an area where there was a fatality 3 days ago. If the judge you see is having a bad day that day, you're f'ed.

$230 isn't bad for 20+ over. I got nailed for $220 doing 40 in a 20 because of coasting downhill in Medford when I was 17, and had my license less than a year. I paid it that day, and never really thought about it again.

I figured this was a thread for stories about first tickets received way back in the day. I'm a bit beside myself that you've never gotten a ticket, assuming you've been driving for quite a while.

The conventional wisdom on this is to go to court and try to at least have it reduced. Problem is less the price of the ticket and more the surcharge on the ol' insurance, but if you end up beating the rap, you win on both counts. :cool:

I figured this was a thread for stories about first tickets received way back in the day. I'm a bit beside myself that you've never gotten a ticket, assuming you've been driving for quite a while.

The conventional wisdom on this is to go to court and try to at least have it reduced. Problem is less the price of the ticket and more the surcharge on the ol' insurance, but if you end up beating the rap, you win on both counts. :cool:

Wow, no mention of how cool my brothers car was? :laugh: you are slipping! That was a sweet box on wheels though

The Lowell connector is a sketchy place to begin with...not surprised they're hammering down there.

RJ

I would have to say that it should have been a warning for your first offense but the fact that there was a fatality 3 days ago most definately changed things.

I would just pay it and move on. Read the ticket but here in CT if you pay the ticket you don't get any points.

I would have to say that it should have been a warning for your first offense but the fact that there was a fatality 3 days ago most definately changed things.

I would just pay it and move on. Read the ticket but here in CT if you pay the ticket you don't get any points.

I'm pretty sure you still get points in Mass. It is always worth it to try and fight it. You will ATLEAST get it reduced. It is your FIRST ticket. When you take the time off of work, go there dressed nicely, and simply explain what happened and what your record is like, it can make a big impact on the judge. It shows that you really do care about what happened and it was honestly a mistake. I would be willing to bet that it is ATLEAST reduced.

Wow, no mention of how cool my brothers car was? :laugh: you are slipping! That was a sweet box on wheels though

I don't know what came over me. :laugh:

Short story. When I lived in Montana, my roommate says to me, "Wanna go test drive cars at dealers for the hell of it?" I wouldn't do this now, but out we went. Test drove a 1988 Chrysler Conquest and a 1989 LeBaron with the 3.0 V6 and a 5-speed.

The Conquest had a blown U-joint, so its tail hopped all over the place like a Waring blender full of rocks. It was quick, though -- always liked the Conquest / Starion.

The LeBaron was the real surprise of the day. Bright red with black cloth interior, it was in great shape -- clean, tight, smooth, and quiet. And it went like hell in a manner I never would have expected of it. Ran out on I-90 and put it to the boards -- that car pulled with aplomb all the way through the gears. I'm a big fan of the turbo fours, too, but the six was a very pleasant surprise when paired with the manual. :cool:

gooner!!!
you should know better especially on the connector, there are cops up thee every day all day!

but, since this is your first offense i do believe you will not receive any points on your insurance. at least that is how it used to be in mass.
you can fight it, which i would anyway, they might reduce it for a first timer.
call your ins. company to confirm about the first time no points.

I know elky, I always go the speed limit on there but I honestly had idea about the speed limit dropping at the end, even though it makes sense it would but I honestly missed it. I guess it wont hurt to fight it, I know im guilty but having this been my first driving offense, I will try to see if I can either get it taken off or reduced. Really the only reason why im doing this is so that my insurance isnt effected, thats all I care about really.

If what elky is saying is true about your first offense and not getting points towards your insurance, then I will gladly write out a check for $230 and be done with it.

ALWAYS fight a ticket! The cop's training on the radar is public record. If it is out of date you get off. Also, the radar calibration is public record. If it is out of date you get off. At least check those out before you pay. I'll try to find out where you can check that info tomorrow.

Last edited:
ALWAYS fight a ticket! The cop's training on the radar is public record. If it is out of date you get off. Also, the radar calibration is public record. If it is out of date you get off. At least check those out before you pay. I'll try to find out where you can check that info tomorrow.

thanks man, please let me know..

i'd fight it. you have a clean record. i got pulled for 20 over awhile ago, but the cop was very cool. he told me to fight it, and he'd drop it to just a fine.

but as mentioned, always fight it, cause worst case is that you pay for the original ticket/fine/etc.

I'm disappointed. Not a single BROWN comment? Has NECEG become politically correct all of a sudden? We all know any brown guy in an Infiniti must deserve a ticket for something, right? ;)

the brown jokes are so played out.

Plus, I want to be on Haroon's good side. I'm hoping he'll open Hooters back up, if he's still looking into opening a franchise. :D

the brown jokes are so played out.

Plus, I want to be on Haroon's good side. I'm hoping he'll open Hooters back up, if he's still looking into opening a franchise. :D

Seems like you never miss a chance to look at breasts. :laugh:

Back