• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

IC: Optimized Y-pipes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

99Mystique ATX

Hard-core CEG'er
Alright guys, a buddy of mine and I optimized my y-pipe and had very good results and there seems to be a bit of interest in having them done.

The only thing we will need is 2 cores, one 2-bolt and one 3-bolt. I may be able to source both and am currently working on that as we speak.

But, since this is purely an interest check at this point who is interested and at what price would you feel is reasonable. We would charge a flat rate regardless of 2 or 3-bolt and would include return shipping via UPS Ground.

EDIT: Here is a pic down the throat of the y-pipe just to get an idea of what we would be doing. We take and cut out the center crush completely so where the two pipes come together you get much better gains. With the center piece completely removed you gain the scavenging effect which is where you really see the gains in this mod from.

Optdy2.jpg

Last edited:
Well, return shipping will run us ~$15-$20 depending on location. I'm waiting for my buddy to get back to me on welding supply costs so that becomes the final factor. End result would probably be $125 or so. That may be more or less depending on welding costs, that's just an estimate.

im definetly in for this!

now comparing a optimized y pipe to an aftermarket BAT/Sho/MSDS what are the differences? will the opt. be just as good?

and ive been searching for a while and i cannot find a pic of the center section that you cut out when optimizing a y pipe. id really like to get a visual so i can understand this whole proceedure a bit more.

I got mine for $100 which included the y-pipe and optimization, but I did pick it up in person so $100 plus shipping would be ideal ...

and ive been searching for a while and i cannot find a pic of the center section that you cut out when optimizing a y pipe. id really like to get a visual so i can understand this whole proceedure a bit more.

:rolleyes: I have posted a number of time that I before and after pics on my cardomain page, and I have even posted them directly here ...

oh ok, i definetly see it now! thanks. so do you just weld the two pipes together on an angle and then put the stock flange over where the pipes come together?

and as i asked earlier, in terms of sound and performance how does this compare to aftermarket y pipes.

oh ok, i definetly see it now! thanks. so do you just weld the two pipes together on an angle and then put the stock flange over where the pipes come together?

and as i asked earlier, in terms of sound and performance how does this compare to aftermarket y pipes.

From what I have seen, it is just as good if not better than the expensive y pipe that you buy with headers from MSDS or the discontinued weapon r's. A sho shop y or the like will probably see a little better gains, but not by much.

you won't find alot of shops who will touch them..in my area i havent found one that will touch anything before the cat.:shrug:

Last edited:
If you get a shop that will touch it, you'd have to pull it off the car and take it to them. If they ask you'd just have to tell them it's on a car that only sees track use or is for off-road use only.

Just an edit: The advantage of an optimized stock y-pipe over an aftermarket unless it's a MSDS or WR is that it retains the mandrel bend coming off of the rear manifold. This bend helps with the velocity and builds more low-end torque without sacrificing top end.

I would be interested if there was a way to pay for a y-pipe and the return my stock one to you when i receive the optimized one.

I would be interested if there was a way to pay for a y-pipe and the return my stock one to you when i receive the optimized one.

That would be the plan. I would send you an optimized y-pipe, you install it, then send yours back for me to optimize and send to the next person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back