• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

ABS and brake light on

starjammir

Hard-core CEG'er
Hey guys,
So again (01 coug v6 5 speed) driving today and it felt like the abs was doing a system test and sounded like it. Then without touching the brakes the abs just kicks on, and the ABS light and brake light came on. I hate this :( Any thoughts? Checked the fluid and that is good. I imagine the fuse is good because we still have heat in the car.

My csvt did the same thing the other day during a black ice storm. yee haw! Anyway, found an accumulation of ice on the sensors of the front wheels, cleaned them off and all was well. Maybe yours is the same?

My uncle had this on my aunt's Explorer last week. Turns out that somehow they broke the exciter ring off of the hub. Check out the ABS sensors and the rings, which are right behind the brake rotors. I wouldn't think that it would be the ring though, after seeing it last weekend. Ice build-up could block the signal on the ring, but it's kind of protected by the rotor.

Hoping that is it just build up because we drove through freezing rain last night for a hour straight...ill know more tomorrow if I man up to this cold ish outside :(

Back