• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

98' CSVT vs MKIV 1.8T Jetta and Talon TSI (AWD)

svts have no topend once you get into fourth, poop no power

Yeah but in the 1/4 do you even need to shift into 4th and how long are you going to be in it?

Also, the 0-60 mph times are a little misleading. You need to shift into 3rd at around 55 mph. Bump up the rev limiter and you are good to go

Yeah but in the 1/4 do you even need to shift into 4th and how long are you going to be in it?

I did have to shift into 4th when I trapped at 89. I tried to squeak through without shifting, and bumped the limiter before I crossed the traps.

I do believe that when Ford quoted numbers for the SVT, it was with 2 passengers aboard and a full tank of gas, hence the slower numbers.

the jetta's run 15.8's i believe

I don't have any literature to back this up, but I'm pretty sure a low 15 (stock) would be more accurate. There is a big difference between the pre-03 and 03-05 MKIV Jetta. pre-03 have 150 HP, and 03+ have 180. My Jetta stock was significantly faster than I would say my pretty stock SVT in a straight line. The SVT would run circles around it handling-wise though. The 1.8T is kind of hard to launch too. It will smoke the tires in a heart beat, but you want to minimize turbo lag at the same time. A later MKIV with some REVO tuning (+50 HP EASY) a good exhaust, and a high flow air filter can make a lot of power relatively cheaply and easily. :laugh:

yeah, don't. Car isn't ment for dragging. It is ment to put the whoop on other cars in corners.

Well going around corners is not for this car because its not rwd or awd. so it has major understeer on it... so i wouldnt try going arond corners veryfast..... i tried that once and put it into a ditch so not a good idea

Well going around corners is not for this car because its not rwd or awd. so it has major understeer on it... so i wouldnt try going arond corners veryfast..... i tried that once and put it into a ditch so not a good idea

:help: Someone needs to learn how to drive.

:help: Someone needs to learn how to drive.

X2

The SVT was considered "the best suspension for sale in this country" by reviewers. With stock suspension and wheels on cheap 225 tires, it puts my 1.8T Jetta sport pack with 225/45 R17s and grippy W rated tires to shame. Sounds like operator error to me.

.90g on the skidpad, out of the box, says otherwise...

X2

The SVT was considered "the best suspension for sale in this country" by reviewers. With stock suspension and wheels on cheap 225 tires, it puts my 1.8T Jetta sport pack with 225/45 R17s and grippy W rated tires to shame. Sounds like operator error to me.

X3 :laugh: someone needs lessons on how to drive this car. Come up to Oak Harbor and we'll go out on some twisty roads I show you what this car is capable of.

Back