• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Funny TCS and ABS light

95_Mystique

Hard-core CEG'er
i have a video if it'll help,but i dont think i can post it.

The car's TCS and ABS lights come on when it gets really wet outside. well now its doin something a little funny. the TCS light was on like i deactivated it, but i didnt, the abs light was off. then when i hit the gas the TCS light goes off or flickers and the abs light comes on. the video i took shows the speedometer, but under 30 mph, so i'm still pretty sure i'm not allowed to post it. any help?

I had that problem a few years ago and had Ford scan it they said I needed a new abs relay I never bothered to fix it :blackeye:

While you are correct in your assumption that you couldn't post it (IF you took the video yourself, or it shows the speed of the car, etc), you COULD upload it to youtube and just tell us the words to search for.. or the username to search under.

just don't link TO it yourself.

As for the problem itself, your conditions WOULD be accurate it you were spinning the tires.

(the light would come on..) or sliding (ABS would come on) but to be on together.. (well.. opposite each other) would indicate something that I would look at starting with either the ABS module or its associated wiring..

tires not spinning, car not sliding. its just acceleration. i can be doin 25 in 5th gear and hit the gas and the TCS light goes off/ flickers and the ABS comes on.

typical wiring problems for the 95. my fathers se does something similar. he has gotten the abs and tc light to alternate. he just doesnt drive that car in wet conditions anymore. in the dry its fine.

going to have to get that harness replaced or live with it. no one else has ever found a solution or the source of the problem for issues like this. just that its the wiring harness which makes sense....

My wife's '95 SE has acted similarly since I bought it with ~80k miles. When I had the wiring harness replacement done at the Ford dealer shortly thereafter, they told me the ABS/traction control computer was bad. They thought that the wiring harness was the reason it was it was damaged, and replaced it under warranty. They told me cost on the computer was ~$3k (not sure dealer or retail) at the time and it was no longer available from Ford. They found one on a shelf at a dealership somewhere in Texas. Shortly after it was replaced, like 20 miles after, the ABS and traction control lights came on again. I didn't persue it any farther than checking the fuses, as I figured they dumped way more money into that car than it was worth already, and wasn't going to make them try to track down another $3k computer.

Back