• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Trunk Lock Preventing Use of Trunk

Griffon

CEG'er
When I first purchased my 97 ford contour gl I was asked to open the trunk. I tried to do so with the key but it was very difficult to turn. The owner tried and put a bit more force than I did and it opened up. At first I was a bit timid because I did not want to break the key. After a while, I got used to opening the trunk.

Now a month later the lock has failed me. I couldn't open the trunk for a half an hour of numerous attempts. FINALLY I got it open. When I went to close the trunk it would not latch shut. When I insert the key (forcefully now) you can hear little metal solenoids jiggling around/falling. The lock has to be broken. I can't really turn it to the closed position fully it's sort of just stuck in an intermediate position.

My question is, where do I go to get this fixed? Can I do this myself? I have never encountered this experience before. I wish the darned thing had a remote opener!

It probably only needs to be lubed and freed up Get some liquid wrench and spray it good to free up the corroded lock parts, then us a good lube spray lithium grease.

Back