• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3.0 question

steebsSVT

CEG'er
so here's the deal, i finally got around to tearing down the engine a little bit today to see what's going on. first thing's first, lots of oil in the UIM, oil in the intakes, except for cylinder 1. that's to be expected, the turbo has been leaking oil through the cold side, whatever. here's my question, i have a problem with smoke puffing from the dipstick hole when it's open, once per engine revolution. i'm going to run a compression test tomorrow to see where i am in that regard.
1) what are normal compression ranges for the 3.0 hybrid?
2) what is the best way to clean all of the oil out with out a complete engine teardown?

it has the SVT LIM, UIM, and cams, assumed that was a hybrid?

figured as much :). wot u just outlined is wot i have. see, at least on this site, the term hybrid is used for the most part if u have 3L block with SVT heads. i guess technically u could call it a hybrid. but wot i read is that 3l blocks with svt heads have too high of a compression ratio for FI. besides, unless u switched stuff up after jeff sold u the car, i believe what he has is an oval port. a full 3l with svt cams. thats wot i thot anyways? :shrug:

nope, no switching. from his classified ad he says svt LIM and cams. and the UIM looks just like the SVT and is badged as such. either way i'm new at engine stuff so all i know is what i read.

what you have is a port-matched oval port. the 3L block and heads where used and the oval port in the head was machined out to mate to the split port SVT LIM and UIM.

as stated a hybrid is a 3L block with 2.5 heads.

and of course a full 3L is just a 3L dropped in as it was from what ever vehicle it came from.

figured as much :). wot u just outlined is wot i have. see, at least on this site, the term hybrid is used for the most part if u have 3L block with SVT heads. i guess technically u could call it a hybrid. but wot i read is that 3l blocks with svt heads have too high of a compression ratio for FI. besides, unless u switched stuff up after jeff sold u the car, i believe what he has is an oval port. a full 3l with svt cams. thats wot i thot anyways? :shrug:

where did you read that 3l blocks with svt heads have too high of a compression ratio for FI. im planning my build and what you said does that mean svt uim and joeys lim mod or the 3L uim and lim with just svt heads is to high of compression.

where did you read that 3l blocks with svt heads have too high of a compression ratio for FI. im planning my build and what you said does that mean svt uim and joeys lim mod or the 3L uim and lim with just svt heads is to high of compression.

the compression is up near 11:1 if not 12:1, although the 12:1 might be the SE heads on a 3L block. and it has been stated before that this is to high, you want lower compression for boost.

the LIM mod allows the SVT UIM to be bolted onto a oval port head with out any machine work to the head.

The intake has nothing to do with compression, it is about the combustion chamber ....

i meant svt cams and 3L heads. i read the whole thing wrong. sorry

SVT cams and 3L heads are fine depending on who you talk to ...

again the compression ratio is determine by the combustion area, which is created by the space between the piston and the head. boosted cars like low compression, some here have build them for 9:1 compression where nitrous like high compression.

2.5 heads on a 3L block raise the compression to a level above stock, using a 3L and 3L heads keeps the 3L's stock compression which is lower then a hybrid (3L block with 2.5 heads) which is better for boost.

exact same setup that i wanna do. i wanna get 350 though. not sure how i will if we got the same setup but lol. how do u like havin the extra power?

simple. turn up the boost. am only at 7.5psi right now. 10-12psi will net u way over that. if not, heres other stuff u could do; underdrive pulley, pnp, very good exhaust system, forged internals. its all about how much u gat really :). contact burritasvt(joey). he holds the record for most hp contour, 400+wheels. he'll give u some ideas. oh, and the boost? no words describe the feeling. u simply fall head over heels in love with ur car all over again :).

Back