• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

TSB: ECM firmware update for Zetec (cat efficiency codes)?

Bill Putney

New CEG'er
In this thread: http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=11319
the folllowing was posted:
...There is a known issue with ECM bugs that cause error codes regarding cat. converter efficiency. There is a TSB out on this problem. What happens is that the code will be tripped much earlier than it should be, so the new ECM code relaxes the standards that are used to check the cat...

Does this apply to the Zetec? If so - what is the TSB number. I ask because I have an alldata subscription for this car, and I do not see any TSB's that discuss this updated firmware.

I have a pending sale on my '96 Zetec Mystique - except suddenly a CEL 0420 code pops up every 60 or 70 miles, and now the sale is at risk! And spending over $300 for a new cat is out of the question. I'm wondering if a reflash with the latest firmware will stop the codes on the Zetec.

Also - will the mileliminator work for this problem, or is it only good for crossover pipe installations? My guess is that it should work.

Last edited:
Don't think there was any reflash for the Zetec.

A MIL eliminator will get rid of the dectection of the fault condition (lazy cat).

Steve

Thanks, Tony! I had seen that before. I'll be building mine this afternoon - I just added a little information to that thread (capacitor polarity).

Hey - you mentioned buying the O2 sensor socket at Advance - I just checked there, and didn't see any on their electrical aisle. Do I need to ask at the counter? Is this the *harness* half of the connector - or can you buy the harness connector *and* the connector that mates too it (like is on the sensor)? It would be cool to have both to make a separate cable with the connectors on both ends and the mileliminator built onto that - just unplug the sensor and plug this "extension" into the harness and the sensor!

Last edited:
...Hey - you mentioned buying the O2 sensor socket at Advance - I just checked there, and didn't see any on their electrical aisle. ...!
This is the special O2 sensor socket which goes with the ratchet. Nothing electrical about it. It is used in place of the 22 mm or 7/8 crescent wrench. It has a slot for the wire.

This is the special O2 sensor socket which goes with the ratchet. Nothing electrical about it. It is used in place of the 22 mm or 7/8 crescent wrench. It has a slot for the wire.
Hah! What a dumb question that was! I was thinking electrical socket.

Back