• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Clanking/Clunking/Squeaking/Rattling noise from right rear

codypka

Veteran CEG'er
After nearly 2 and 1/2 years of CSVT ownership I still have not figured out what is causing this noise coming from the passenger rear brake/wheel area. From outside the car, or with the windows down it sounds like a metal-on-metal clanking/rattling noise when I hit even small bumps in the road. Sounds like dropping a wrench on onto a metal toolbox. From inside the car it sounds like more of a clunking noise. Its not as audible but still very annoying and very noticeable. Another thing is that when braking in reverse I get a horrible squeaking noise from the passenger side rear break. When i say horrible squeak, I mean HORRIBLE and LOUD. Not your average brake squeak (sounds closer to the imfamous "moose" sound that our car does).

Basically I'm thinking these 2 problems might be related. I've had a mechanic under my car for hours tearing apart everything in the suspension and had no luck finding this noise (the rattling noise that is). He even took the sway bar completely off the car which did not stop the noise.

So I come here looking for help because I am out of ideas. Please keep in mind I have had the BAT kit along with new strut mounts installed over the summer which did not help. I'm beginning to think this noise is not from the suspension but from the brake. It seems too coincidental that both of these very annoying sounds come from the same area of the car.

What do you guys think?

I have heard of struts making that exact noise when they are worn out, maybe you have a defective strut.

I would say to pull the caliper and have a look. You may also want to have a look at the control arms as well.

There's not much left after suspension and sway bar that can move and make noise.

I would say to pull the caliper and have a look. You may also want to have a look at the control arms as well.

There's not much left after suspension and sway bar that can move and make noise.

what exactly would i be looking for if I were to take apart the caliper? How would i know if the control arms are bad?

Trail arm will be your culprit

sorry I'm not familiar with this part at all

Trail arm goes from the frame to the rear knuckle (the long bar that runs the length wise)

ok i've been searching and searching for replacement "trail arms" but have had no luck. i tried BAT as well as several internet sites. does this part go by another name? where can i find this. I want to go ahead and replace the trail arms and rear end links to try and make this problem go away

One trailing arm per side. No need for brackets. Only buy the bushings if you know yours are bad and/or want to pull the entire knuckle off both sides of the car (major undertaking, you don't want to do this) and take it in to have the old one pressed out and new one pressed in. New trailing arms have a bushing in one end already, the other is integrated into the knuckle. Take a look at your suspension and you will see what I mean.

One trailing arm per side. No need for brackets. Only buy the bushings if you know yours are bad and/or want to pull the entire knuckle off both sides of the car (major undertaking, you don't want to do this) and take it in to have the old one pressed out and new one pressed in. New trailing arms have a bushing in one end already, the other is integrated into the knuckle. Take a look at your suspension and you will see what I mean.

thanks great info

i haven't been able to fix it. I have replaced the struts, strut mounts, and end links none of which helped. I'm beginning to think its in the brake somewhere, cause I here the sound sometimes when stationary if i lift off the brakes real quick

any other ideas other that trailing arms for this?

i really think it is something in the brake. That same brake squeaks like hell sometimes when going in reverse. I get the sound sometimes when i let off the brakes quickly sometimes

i know exactly what you are going through, i had a similar problem haunting me for quite a while.
what i had replaced:
-full BAT suspension kit
-trailing arms
-end links w/bushings

what solved the problem:
-caliper 'rebuild' kit from autozone. ($8 i think)
basically just a beefier pin and couple of clips that held everything together much tighter. my old pin was very worn down.

good luck.

i know exactly what you are going through, i had a similar problem haunting me for quite a while.
what i had replaced:
-full BAT suspension kit
-trailing arms
-end links w/bushings

what solved the problem:
-caliper 'rebuild' kit from autozone. ($8 i think)
basically just a beefier pin and couple of clips that held everything together much tighter. my old pin was very worn down.

good luck.

interesting. finally someone gives me and explanation involving the brake which was what i thought all along. It always felt as if something was just loose back there and bouncing around.

I'm having trouble locating this kit you speak of though. can you point me in the right direction?

Back