• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Moosing 3L - almost all the time

blu_fuz

New Member Classroom vulture
Car runs awesome regardless of the moose.

Little history:
-always had the moose with the '95 2.5L
-when it moosed with the 2.5L it would sometimes kill the engine
-open filter, no heat shield
-no big deal, more annoying than anything

Current w/ 3L:
When it is warm it will moose every time I rev it even if I am not moving. It even "hoots" while in 2/3 gear in town while driving :eek:. When not on the throttle just maintaining speed in town it will spit out a "hoot" every 1/2 block or so. Sometimes in a "hoot" when I get up to a stop sign it will "hooOOOooOOOooooOOOooot" and the revs will move between 500 and 1200 RPM but will not kill it like the 2.5L did.

I am sure it has to do with the CFM rating of the air intake now with the 3L. It is still just an annoyance, but where should I start fixing the problem?

Current intake/motor:
-open filter w/ Pud heatshield
-2.5L MAF
-SVT TB
-SVT UIM
-SE LIM
-'05 Taurus 3L heads Port-matched with bugzuki plates

how old is the IAC? I would start by cleaning it or just getting a new one.

you can also complete the moose/th fix and be done with it.

I actually have no idea what year/miles are on the IAC I have now. I do have the t/h fix but havn't done the moose fix yet. It seems to get mixed results whether it works or not, so I didn't want to throw $ at it quite yet.

The only reason I posted this was because it is moosing while in gear and driving, and havn't read anything like that yet.

I have a few IACs around so I will start with that.

I think my fathers 95 did also. It would also stall too. a new iac took care of it.

the 3l ones will not work ..... well on post 98 cars it will throw a code.

the th fix is cheap but you have to adjust it to get the optimal size in the copper cap.

Hey Blu...my 3L did this right off the bat and I just added the inline resonator that originally came from my 95...problem solved.

I had been able to run my SVT motor without it, but something is different on the 3L.

BTW, I'll PM you on the LIM now that I'm back.

an SE LIM is going to mess with things a little. that is probably part of the issue as well. they are way too small for the 3L when i switched mine out it made a ridiculous difference.

Blu: I've got an early side feed injector LIM which has been overbored to 1.25" for the secondaries. All the air entries have been "belled" on a vertical milling machine, the plates are optimized with countersunk bolts and the shaft O rings are new. As I'm running a later SVT LIM on my 3.0 I don't need it.

I'll let it go for a reasonable price if you're interested. PM me.

I'm having almost exactly the same problem. My car will not stop moosing. When you're driving and you go a little above 3k at about 25-40% throttle the car will moose, and sometimes even backfire. My car bucks and stumbles in 3rd gear only and only if you're giving it 40% or less throttle. I'm pretty sure the IAC needs to be replaced because it used to stick so I should probably start there and look into the Th/moose fix. I'm not too sure about the bucking in 3rd gear only maybe the sock is clogged up again? :shrug:

Mine hasn't gone away. I still have my '95 canister tube thing, same IAC, SE LIM, etc..

It only does it when it is warm enough 50+ outside and the motor is at full running temp.

The car doesn't moose when it is below 50* even at full running temp.

I havn't had time to dig into it yet.
I now have a vac operated LIM from mosh that I will try out and see if that helps and I will change the IAC at the same time because I will have the UIM off then anyway.

AH! You are having the same problem as me my friend... I have a 99 SVT and she loves to moose:cry:... Just started recently, and im getting a bit of bucking threw 2nd gear and a bit of third sometimes... So the IAC is the problem, and just needs to be replaced?:shrug::shrug::confused::help:

I can't confirm the IAC change 100% but everyone seems to concur that it will help. I have also been told the SVT vac LIM will help stabilize the air flow and might prevent some of the moosing also. I will be changing a few things at one time, so I won't be able to tell exactly what helps but hopefully it will go away.

Back