• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

wheel bearing goin bad??

99csvtoledo

CEG'er
how can i tell if my wheel bearing is going out. my car has gotten ridiculously noisy lately and has begun to shake and vibrate a bit. is it my wheel bearing or something else????

is it a growling noise? you can also check a bad wheel bearing by jacking the car up, and shaking the wheel from all angles (left to right, up and down, diagonally). if it moves in all directions, you have a bad wheel bearing. but sometime the bearing goes and wont have any play, just noise. listen very closely as to where the noise is coming from

when checking the wheel, 9 and 3 oclock shaking indicate a bad tie-rod or e-rod end, etc.

12 and 6 oclock movement indicate a bad bearing, but as the previous poster said, SOMETIMES it can be noisy and failing without much movement.

You can always compare to the other wheel on the other side and see how it feels.

There is a how-to in the duratec maintenance forum under "read first"

When my left front wheel bearing was going bad, the wheel never got wobbly. I just sounded like someone was firing a machine gun under my car while I was driving down the highway.

Back