• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

spec clutch failure.

TRicker

Hard-core CEG'er
my spec stage 3 has about 45k miles on it. last week three of the four springs in the clutch hub came out and went all over the place. should there be any warranty against this? it wasn't a wear issue, the springs just came out of the disc somehow.... like the retainers flared out too far and the spring snapped out of its place..... anyone got any ideas? i emailed them just now as well.

well this is what i'm going with. it will cost me 165$ plus shipping and i can use my spec pressure plate. here's the difference.

they are both sprung hub, ceramic/metallic, six puck discs. one is spec, one is clutchnet.

look at how the springs are held inside the disc. spec's design is POOR!

spec%20stage3.jpg

here's what i'm getting. looks to me, like its built very very well!

6button_sprung01.jpg

Well the stage 3 plus is a race clutch. Thats the only purpose of multi puck clutchs. 45k miles I would say you definitly got your moneys worth. So no definitly not a warranty issue, not by a long shot. That being said, Spec has been pretty good with fixing issues with there clutchs. Your email is definitly worth a shot. Thay may provide you with a replacement disc or at least use that data to make a better product. Heck the disc on my svt (pretty much bone stock at time) let go around 65/70k. I agree that other design looks much better. Never heard of clutch net, Ill have to check them out.

Well the stage 3 plus is a race clutch. Thats the only purpose of multi puck clutchs. 45k miles I would say you definitly got your moneys worth. So no definitly not a warranty issue, not by a long shot. That being said, Spec has been pretty good with fixing issues with there clutchs. Your email is definitly worth a shot. Thay may provide you with a replacement disc or at least use that data to make a better product. Heck the disc on my svt (pretty much bone stock at time) let go around 65/70k. I agree that other design looks much better. Never heard of clutch net, Ill have to check them out.

Is that how long a spec 3 plus is only supposed to last? :eek: I got over 200K miles on the 95 and over 140K miles on my stock SVT clutches, and they were still great when I sold them. So, is that 45K miles a general estimation or do you figure with the way that I drive, I could make this one last longer?

The stage three plus is more of a streetable clutch. Even though its rated for more power, its full face disc helps with the smoother engagements one reason it "should" last longer. You dont buy HI performance parts thinking there going to last 100k. There just not designed for that in most cases. Its not to say they wont, just dont expect it.

The stage three plus is more of a streetable clutch. Even though its rated for more power, its full face disc helps with the smoother engagements one reason it "should" last longer. You dont buy HI performance parts thinking there going to last 100k. There just not designed for that in most cases. Its not to say they wont, just dont expect it.

there are enough people in the Twin Cities that I am sure could help swap it out once it is on its last legs. :laugh: But I do have to say, you built this tranny extreamly well.

Sorry to hear of your continuing problems with your car Tyler.. I wonder when my 3+ is going to bite the dust... I've probably got close to 20k on mine...

My stage 1 lasted 8k :nonono: and of course died right after I installed my 3L and just before Carlisle.

My stage 1 lasted 8k :nonono: and of course died right after I installed my 3L and just before Carlisle.

Yeah - I got around that out of my stage 1. A stage 1 is not enough for a 3L - I don't care what the numbers say, it doesn't hold worth a damn when you need it to.

Look at this - there is 0 material left on the clutch.
Clutch1.jpgFlywheel.jpg

And no - the clutch was installed properly and daily driven with the usual pounding a CSVT see's.

I have heard nothing but bad things about the stage 1 clutch. :nonono: Isn't it supposed to be basically the same things as a stock SVT clutch?

I have heard nothing but bad things about the stage 1 clutch. :nonono: Isn't it supposed to be basically the same things as a stock SVT clutch?

yes its suppose to be about equal to a SVT clutch. some have had good luck with a stage 1 and others don't .... almost seems the older ones where better ...

IMO the spec stage 1 is an absolute waste when you can get an OEM SVT clutch for the same price (if not cheaper) with awesome driveability and long lasting goodness.

I have been tempted to ditch my 3+ for the clutchnet "yellow" series disk with a new OEM SVT pressure plate.

TRicker I look forward to test driving your new setup ;)

IMO the spec stage 1 is an absolute waste when you can get an OEM SVT clutch for the same price (if not cheaper) with awesome driveability and long lasting goodness.

I have been tempted to ditch my 3+ for the clutchnet "yellow" series disk with a new OEM SVT pressure plate.

TRicker I look forward to test driving your new setup ;)

I am interested as well to see how well it turns out. We can all have a nice clutch swap meet later on. :laugh:

i'm not saying that my clutch didnt get a fair amount of usage, but my clutch barely looked worn at all. i'd say i could get 80-90k on it very easily if the springs hadn't broke out of the clutch.

spec replied to me and told me that the warranty only lasts 120 days and i'm pretty much out of luck, however they said that they would sell me only the disc if i was interested, at a discounted rate. so they do stand behind their product, but i'm going to pass on their deal in favor of going with the better design.

Yeah - I got around that out of my stage 1. A stage 1 is not enough for a 3L - I don't care what the numbers say, it doesn't hold worth a damn when you need it to.

Look at this - there is 0 material left on the clutch.
View attachment 3237View attachment 3238

And no - the clutch was installed properly and daily driven with the usual pounding a CSVT see's.

me and kyle put this clutch in. it couldnt' hold up to the torque. however, take into account that kyleQ's car makes the same amount of torque darn near at 1000 rpm that it does at redline. its got wicked low-end. :)

I guess I'm one of the few with good luck on a SPEC Stage 1. :shrug:

I have almost 60k miles on my Stage 1 and it's still working flawlessly. It lets up higher, but that's to be expected after that many miles of abuse.

Also, a stock SVT clutch might compare to the Stage 1 in driveability and power capabilities, but the initial bite when the stock clutch engages does not compare to Stage 1. I've driven a bunch of SVT's with stock clutches and they all seem to have that same slip feeling when they engage, even more when they get hot. My Stage 1 will always give a nice hard jolt when you're at WOT and shifting fast.

I'd still recommend a Stage 1 to anyone with a 3L. If you are running any type of forced induction, skip it and go for Stage 3+.

My stage 1 would slip ever time I tried making a hard shift into 2nd gear. It never failed - hell, even going into 3rd at redline it would slip. Grant it - my car makes ~ 180ft/lbs of tq @ 2800rpm.

Wow am I glad I saw this. I was going to order a clutch today, either Spec or Luk and couldn't decide.

Now there is another choice. I'm thinking the yellow Kevlar clutch would work as I the car will see track time.

Last edited:
kevlar=glazed over. get the fiber carbon one.

anyways, i ordered the 6 puck sprung hub "closed window" disc. so it looks like the one in my picture. it takes a day to build, and i spent 28 bucks to get it here in 3 days. looks like a total of 188 bucks and will be here by wednesday or w/e since its over the weekend. i talked to their guys and the 6 puck disc is the same thickness of a spec disc and it will work together fine. they said they have a 90 day full warranty but supposedly they have a lifetime parts warranty if any of the metal parts of the clutch break they will replace the disc for free. we'll see, i think that was just said to sell me the clutch. from the video of "how its made" on their website, they do it well.

Back