• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3.0 from 2005 Five Hundred?

sleepr

CEG'er
Check this ad out (edited to protect the potential buyer :D):

This is a low mile 3.0 DOHC engine out of a 2005 Ford Five Hundred. Engine was test run before pulling. Compression is 200-210,oil pressure is 60#s hot. Mileage is 20,000. $250.00

It's several hundred miles away, so I haven't been able to lay eyes on it. I believe that this is the same RFF, non-VVT engine as in the Taurus, but I'm not sure about water pump config or intake manifold clearance. Does anyone know any reason that this can't work for a full swap? :shrug:

Thanks!

ps: I've never seen so many "do a search" responses as on this Duratec 3L forum. Way to be helpful, guys. How about putting some practical info in the stickies regarding the different 3L engines, year over year changes, what parts must be transfered over and why. A search for this info is pretty useless. :crazy: :help:

This is a big thread from NECO disscussing this topic. I agree there probably should be a sticky with this info around somewhere. i remember looking for it but couldn't find it.
http://www.newcougar.org/forums/3-0...-read-first-what-engines-will-fit-my-car.html

Edit:
This one may also help, but there is no mention of the 3L from the Five Hundred. Maybe someone will chime in later.
http://www.newcougar.org/forums/3-0...2050-faq-most-your-3l-questions-answered.html

holy crap I was just reading through that first neco thread. :blackeye: I can't even believe they let that go on for that many pages. Anyway, if you searched for variations of the words "ford 500" or "five hundred" or "fivehundred" or "five-hundred" and didn't find anything. Then, yes, maybe it hasn't been discussed and posting a new thread on it is appropriate.

This is all I've been able to find, on wikipedia:

The 3.0 L Duratec 30 or Mazda AJ was introduced in 1996 as a replacement for the 3.8 L (~232 in³) Essex V6 in the Taurus/Sable. It has 2967 cc (181 in³) of displacement and produces between 200 hp (150 kW) and 240 hp (180 kW). The same basic engine is used in the Jaguar S-Type, Lincoln LS, Mazda MPV, Mazda 6, Mondeo ST220 and many other Ford vehicles. It is essentially a bored-out (to 89 mm) Duratec 25 and is built in Ford Motor Company's Cleveland Engine #2 plant in Cleveland, Ohio. A slightly modified version for the Ford Five Hundred entered production at the Cleveland #1 plant in 2004.

I've never trusted Wikipedia. Any old yahoo can go on there and add whatever they want whether it be true or not. I'm not saying its not right, but I'll never trust that as my only source. I wouldn't think the transmissions would match up though:shrug:

I've never trusted Wikipedia. Any old yahoo can go on there and add whatever they want whether it be true or not. I'm not saying its not right, but I'll never trust that as my only source

Oh I agree completely, unfortunately it was the only mention of the 3L in the 500 that I could find, other than review stating how the 500 comes with a duratec 3.0.

The 3.0L in the 500 is the same as the Taurus - no VVT or anything like that, still rated at 200HP. I don't know whether it's a COP motor, or whether the timing cover and accessories are the same.

"Slightly modified" is pretty much meaningless without at least some sort of context.

Oh I agree completely, unfortunately it was the only mention of the 3L in the 500 that I could find, other than review stating how the 500 comes with a duratec 3.0.

Yeah I looked and couldn't find anything else either.

From cunsumer guide auto.com
Powertrain Options and Availability
Only one powertrain was available in 2005-06 Five Hundreds: a 3.0-liter V6 that was rated at 203 hp. Two transmissions were available: a 6-speed automatic or a CVT automatic.
Engines Size liters /cu. in:
ohc V61 3.0 / 182
Horse-power / Torque
203 / 207
6-speed automatic: 21/29 mpg
CVT automatic: 20/27 mpg

All you guys could use from the 3.0L in the 500/Montego/Freestyle would be the shortblock but the crankshaft is cast iron instead of forged. (I have discussed this point several times...)

It has unique cam covers, front cover, oil pan. Heads are basically the same as Mazda6 and 2006-2008 Escape (water pump drive on LH exhaust). However the LH exhaust cam is special for a direct drive water pump.

Back