• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

IMRC's stuck open...

281Thunder

Veteran CEG'er
As I posted recently I'm pulling my engine to do a handful of maintenance/repair issues. Beforehand I had a CEL for my IMRC's being stuck open. After this evening and getting things partially torn down, I think I've discovered the problem. The cable that runs from the computer for the IMRC's (the controller?) is broken near the intake manifold. Also, there appears to be a thin metal rod that runs to the front side IMRC's that appears to be off the lever arm for the fronts. This is kinda hard to describe so I'll try to get some pics tomorrow. My question is, is this cable a seperate piece, or does it have to be bought with the computer part? And what about the metal rod? How does it attach to the lever? Again, sorry for the lack of knowledge on this system...it's new to me.:help:

I have a spare case and cable part off of one of the many IMRCs my car has eaten, i.e. no circuit board and stuff. PM me if you'd like it. It's fairly easy to pop out the board and motor and put it into a new case.

AFAIK the cable really isnt fixable - you'll probably need a new or used IMRC . The arm OTOH probably just popped out of its grommet which is easily fixed.

But, how long has it been since your LIM was cleaned? It could be a buildup of crud on your manifolds is what caused the cable to break.

AFAIK the cable really isnt fixable - you'll probably need a new or used IMRC . The arm OTOH probably just popped out of its grommet which is easily fixed.

But, how long has it been since your LIM was cleaned? It could be a buildup of crud on your manifolds is what caused the cable to break.

I think I've found a replacement used IMRC from someone on here. As far as the arm...I think the grommet is gone out of the frontside lever (pic below). What exactly does it look like? Maybe I can just rig up something to get it attached back in.

Not sure on the intake cleaning. Now that you mention it I'll probably go ahead and do that while it's out just to make sure. I got my hand back in there this evening and both sides seem to move without too much effort though.

work1.jpg

Yeah you're missing the grommet at the front. Easily fixed by buying a new grommet, will take all of about a minute to fix. Only downside is Ford completely rips off people on that part. It should cost 50 cents instead of $8.

Ive had a broken imrc cable myself, snapped right inside the box. Replaced it with a bicycle cable, has been fine ever since.

DSC02970.jpg

DSC02973.jpg

DSC02980.jpg

DSC02981.jpg

Back